Front to Back: Week of Jan. 26, 2015 -

Sunday, February 1, 2015

UMass hangs on to top Saint Louis for the first time since 1995 -

Saturday, January 31, 2015

UMass hockey falls to No. 2 Boston University in high-scoring affair -

Saturday, January 31, 2015

UMass Dining places Super Bowl food bet with University of Washington -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Super Bowl XLIX Preview: New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks -

Friday, January 30, 2015

John McCutcheon reflects on his time at UMass, admits it’s time for change -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass downs Dayton in bounce-back win -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass athletic director John McCutcheon to take job at UCSB -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass encourages responsible celebrating, modifies guest policy ahead of Super Bowl -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball returns home to Mullins Center with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Microsoft introduces Windows 10, Codename Spartan and the HoloLens -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Cheap gas, a speed bump for the planet -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friday night a chance at redemption for UMass hockey -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Beautiful focuses on body image and loving oneself -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Minutewomen set to redeem themselves against the Bonnies -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass basketball seeks more consistency out of its veterans -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

UMass hockey hopes to ride momentum into Friday’s matchup against Boston University -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tips for maintain and transitioning to a healthier lifestyle -

Thursday, January 29, 2015

MASSPIRG urges McDonalds to stop purchasing meat raised with antibiotics -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

How to avoid, treat and prevent Computer Vision Syndrome as a college student -

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Minutemen remain winless in home-opener

Despite resilient and gritty play, the young Massachusetts hockey team has yet to win a game this season.

On Saturday, the Minutemen (0-3-1, 0-1-1 Hockey East) played its home-opener against No. 8 Boston University (3-0-1, 1-0-1 HEA), losing 4-3 in front of a home-opening record crowd of 7,021.

Both teams opened their conference schedules against each other on Oct 16, when they tied, 2-2. In that game, UMass rookie goaltender Jeff Teglia got the start due to senior Paul Dainton’s injury, stopping 33-of-35 shots. With Dainton not yet 100 percent, Teglia started on Saturday, again registering 33 saves.

“I’m really happy with my first two performances,” Teglia said. “It was just an unbelievable home crowd tonight. I had a ton of fun out there. I thought I gave my team a chance to win both nights, and I think it’s really coming along.”

Despite being outshot 10-4 in the first period, it was UMass which notched the game’s first goal, coming on a power play, as sophomore Darren Rowe scored his first of two goals on the night. Senior Danny Hobbs started the play with a pass down low to freshman Troy Power. Power took a shot on net, which deflected off BU’s goaltender, Kieran Millan, into the right faceoff circle. Rowe, pinching in from the point, gathered the puck and shot it over Millan for his third goal of the season, sending the crowd into a frenzy.

Despite not scoring a goal in his rookie season last year, two of Rowe’s team-leading four goals have come on the power play, which has struggled to find consistency amidst the roster’s inexperience.

“It’s still a work in progress,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said, referring to the power play. “Rowe certainly has found his way, though; he’s got a nice feel.”

The 1-0 lead dissipated quickly in the second period, as the Terriers scored three unanswered goals.

“We played pretty hard in the first period but struggled with their strength down low right from the beginning,” Cahoon said. “You could see that when they cycled pucks or spread us out in the zone; they would get their bodies between the puck and [our players]. They were able to possess the puck more than we would’ve liked them to.”

With one minute, 33 seconds remaining in the second period and UMass at the tail-end of a power play, BU’s captain Joe Pereira made it 3-1 on a breakaway coming out of the penalty box. UMass’ Conor Allen fanned on the final shot of the power play, giving BU’s Chris Connolly possession. Connolly then found Pereira behind the UMass defense, and he slid a backhand shot between Teglia’s legs.

“Pereira put a strong move on Teglia,” Cahoon said. “[BU’s] goals were goal-scorers’ goals.”

UMass showed its resilience in the third period, when Rowe scored his second goal on a seeing-eye shot from the point, making it 3-2.

The Minutemen could not overcome critical mistakes made in the third, though, as BU’s Sahir Gill scored the game-winner on a breakaway resulting from a broken play in UMass’ defensive end.

“In the third period we battled back and made a game of it but then made a bonehead play that just gave the game back,” Cahoon said. “The mistakes that were made continue to be young mistakes with young players either losing their poise or not following through on an assignment.”

With 19 seconds remaining and Teglia pulled for the man advantage, Michael Marcou made it 4-3 with a slap shot from the point. The Minutemen could not score the equalizer in the final seconds.

“It’s frustrating that we can’t pull out any wins,” Rowe said. “It’s good that we’re finishing strong, though. The second period got away from us and we have to make sure to play hard for 60 minutes.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.