UMass women’s soccer earns double overtime draw against Central Connecticut -

Friday, September 4, 2015

Offensive struggles continue for UMass men’s soccer team in loss to Columbia -

Friday, September 4, 2015

UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Minutemen remain winless in home-opener

Despite resilient and gritty play, the young Massachusetts hockey team has yet to win a game this season.

On Saturday, the Minutemen (0-3-1, 0-1-1 Hockey East) played its home-opener against No. 8 Boston University (3-0-1, 1-0-1 HEA), losing 4-3 in front of a home-opening record crowd of 7,021.

Both teams opened their conference schedules against each other on Oct 16, when they tied, 2-2. In that game, UMass rookie goaltender Jeff Teglia got the start due to senior Paul Dainton’s injury, stopping 33-of-35 shots. With Dainton not yet 100 percent, Teglia started on Saturday, again registering 33 saves.

“I’m really happy with my first two performances,” Teglia said. “It was just an unbelievable home crowd tonight. I had a ton of fun out there. I thought I gave my team a chance to win both nights, and I think it’s really coming along.”

Despite being outshot 10-4 in the first period, it was UMass which notched the game’s first goal, coming on a power play, as sophomore Darren Rowe scored his first of two goals on the night. Senior Danny Hobbs started the play with a pass down low to freshman Troy Power. Power took a shot on net, which deflected off BU’s goaltender, Kieran Millan, into the right faceoff circle. Rowe, pinching in from the point, gathered the puck and shot it over Millan for his third goal of the season, sending the crowd into a frenzy.

Despite not scoring a goal in his rookie season last year, two of Rowe’s team-leading four goals have come on the power play, which has struggled to find consistency amidst the roster’s inexperience.

“It’s still a work in progress,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said, referring to the power play. “Rowe certainly has found his way, though; he’s got a nice feel.”

The 1-0 lead dissipated quickly in the second period, as the Terriers scored three unanswered goals.

“We played pretty hard in the first period but struggled with their strength down low right from the beginning,” Cahoon said. “You could see that when they cycled pucks or spread us out in the zone; they would get their bodies between the puck and [our players]. They were able to possess the puck more than we would’ve liked them to.”

With one minute, 33 seconds remaining in the second period and UMass at the tail-end of a power play, BU’s captain Joe Pereira made it 3-1 on a breakaway coming out of the penalty box. UMass’ Conor Allen fanned on the final shot of the power play, giving BU’s Chris Connolly possession. Connolly then found Pereira behind the UMass defense, and he slid a backhand shot between Teglia’s legs.

“Pereira put a strong move on Teglia,” Cahoon said. “[BU’s] goals were goal-scorers’ goals.”

UMass showed its resilience in the third period, when Rowe scored his second goal on a seeing-eye shot from the point, making it 3-2.

The Minutemen could not overcome critical mistakes made in the third, though, as BU’s Sahir Gill scored the game-winner on a breakaway resulting from a broken play in UMass’ defensive end.

“In the third period we battled back and made a game of it but then made a bonehead play that just gave the game back,” Cahoon said. “The mistakes that were made continue to be young mistakes with young players either losing their poise or not following through on an assignment.”

With 19 seconds remaining and Teglia pulled for the man advantage, Michael Marcou made it 4-3 with a slap shot from the point. The Minutemen could not score the equalizer in the final seconds.

“It’s frustrating that we can’t pull out any wins,” Rowe said. “It’s good that we’re finishing strong, though. The second period got away from us and we have to make sure to play hard for 60 minutes.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.