UMass women’s soccer falls to Central Connecticut 3-0 in home opener -

Preseason serves as opportunity for young UMass men’s soccer players -

Amherst Fire Department website adds user friendly components and live audio feed -

UMass takes the cake for best campus dining -

Two UMass students overcome obstacles to win full-ride scholarships -

The guilt of saying ‘guilty’ -

Minutewomen setting career-highs with first victory

Maria Uminski/Collegian

With a new head coach at the helm for the Massachusetts women’s basketball team, returning players are taking on new roles on the hardwood and taking advantage of them.

In their first win of the season against Brown 78-55, seniors Cerie Mosgrove and Stephanie Lawrence both posted career-high marks. Mosgrove, who saw a lot of action in the paint finished with career-high 20 points. She also grabbed a career-high eight rebounds against East Carolina earlier this season.

“Cerie played great inside and outside for us,” coach Sharon Dawley said. “She played a lot in the post and then kicked out to the perimeter, making adjustments and I thought her aggression was really good.”

Lawrence surpassed her career-totals in rebounds with eight and blocks with three against Brown.
“She played great with excellent hustle and solid defense,” Dawley said. “She read Brown’s offense very well.”

Sophomore forward Shakia Robinson went off last weekend against ECU, scoring 30 points on 13-of-19 shooting from the field and going 4-of-6 from the free throw line. She followed up that performance by putting up 18 in the first half alone in last night’s win, totaling her season total from last year.

Not only was the performance against ECU Robinson’s career-best, it was the first time a Minutewoman had a 30-point game since Jan. 6, 2003, when Jen Butler scored 31 against Temple. Robinson made her first career start this season and set a career high in minutes played, filling in for the absence of sophomore Jasmine Watson. She also set a new career high in steals with five, as well as a new career high in rebounds (11) against Seton Hall. Robinson has tripled her rookie-season high in points and rebounds.

“[Robinson] is really becoming a great presence down-low and worked the paint well,” Dawley said. “I was envisioning her playing together with Jasmine, and they’ll be very effective together.”

Senior guard Megan Zullo set a Mullins Center record and a new career-high with 13 assists in the season opener against George Mason, almost doubling her previous career-high of seven. The mark stands second all-time in UMass history. Zullo only trails, coincidentally, her aunt, Christel Zullo, who holds the record with 15 against Temple on Feb. 14, 1986. Zullo has been in double-figures three times this season and set a career-high in points with 25 against the Pirates in her second 20-point performance of her career.

“Meg is just always a consistent player and brings a hundred percent effort to the floor,” Dawley said.

Junior Emilie Teuscher made her first career start this season and has already surpassed last season’s total in minutes played. In just six games, she passed her previous career point and rebound totals from her first two seasons with the Minutewomen. Teuscher also had a career-best six rebounds against ECU and set a career-mark in points with nine in the season opener.

Sophomore Dee Montgomery has improved in all categories. Montgomery made her first career start against Maryland and registered personal-high 27 minutes on the hardwood. She also recorded career-highs in steals with five and rebounds with six.

“Dee brings great energy, good defense and is a great presence on the floor,” Dawley said.

Michael Counos can be reached at mcounos@student.umass.edu.