BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Minutewomen can’t shake undefeated Boston College

Despite a double-double from Shakia Robinson and great success from beyond the arc, the Massachusetts women’s basketball team could not recover from a strong second half surge by an undefeated Boston College squad as it lost, 93-80, on Sunday afternoon.

The Minutewomen (1-7) came out strong against the Eagles (8-0) in the first half, trading the lead point for point through the opening 20 minutes. At the closing buzzer, the score stood, 41-39, Eagles.

Throughout its last few games, the Maroon and White have shown definite progress in their first half play, keeping the score closer and the opposition from getting into a groove.

“We are playing great in the first half,” UMass coach Sharon Dawley said. “We have been working hard in practice all season on coming out hot, and it’s starting to really come out. We expected it early on [to be slower] because it’s a new offense and defense, but we are really starting to gel for the first half now.”

Though the first half would show UMass’ abilities in preparation and anticipation, the second half would soon show why BC has gone undefeated thus far.

The Eagles came out soaring at the start of the second, going on a 13-4 run that saw them play well off of their height advantage over the Minutewomen. Though they would fight back throughout the half, they could not cut the deficit to less then seven points.

Before the game, Dawley anticipated her team’s strategy of countering BC’s height advantage would make it easy for the Eagles to get the ball to the weak side and come up with rebounds. Her prediction turned out to be right, particularly in the second half. Of the Eagles’ 36 rebounds on the day, 23 of them came in the last 20 minutes.

Though the game did not translate to a win, Dawley was happy with how her team performed against a tough opponent.

“We played well today,” Dawley said. “We fought hard, we were just short a post and a 3-point shooter to get the win. There were really only five possessions for BC where we’re not where we like to be. We really played great.”

A large part of that great play can be attributed to sophomore forward Shakia Robinson.

Robinson played phenomenally throughout the game, racking up her first career double-double. She paved the way for the Maroon and White offense with 25 points and 10 rebounds in 39 minutes.

What’s even more impressive, however, was her team-first point of view concerning her achievement.

“I wish we could have won today’s game,” said Robinson. “The achievement is great, but I’m not really going to enjoy it because we didn’t win. That team win is just way more important to me.”

Senior guard Megan Zullo also had an impressive game, scoring 22 points with eight rebounds while playing the full 40 minutes. In the 3-point game, Zullo shot 5-for-7, while the team as a whole was 9-for-21.

David Martin can be reached at dmmartin@student.umass.edu.