UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Hofstra on Senior Night, 11-6 -

Saturday, April 19, 2014

VIDEO: UMass United Rally in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Track athletes excel at Giegengack Invitational

Despite the chilling weather and record snowfalls this winter throughout the Northeast, the Massachusetts men’s and women’s track and field squads were red-hot this weekend, as they competed against some of the best schools in the area at the Giegengack Invitational, hosted by Yale.

“Overall, I was very pleased with the way our team performed,” UMass coach Ken O’Brien said. “We had some more guys qualify for [New England] and [IC4A] events and that’s important when thinking about going even further.”

The two-day event on Friday and Saturday proved to be successful for both UMass teams, as many have already secured a spot in both the New England Championships later this month and IC4A Regionals in early March. 

Despite most events not coming until Saturday, Day One proved to be successful for the Minutemen and women that did perform.  

Senior Kevin Spieler placed fifth in the weight throw, with a distance of 54-1.25. The Attleboro, Mass. native was coming off the Reebok Indoor Games the weekend before, where he placed third and set a personal-best with 54-2.75.

The duo of Zachary Koncki and Daniel Wu placed third and fourth, respectively, in the long jump, posting marks of 22-4.50 and 22-3.50. 

With only six performances on the first day for the Minutewomen, some the representatives had impressive performances that set the stage for Day Two. Sophomore Rebecca Banker stood out, posting a high jump of 5-05.00, good enough to win the event and also rank fourth highest all-time in school history.

In the 5,000 meter event, junior Karen Roa joined Banker in the UMass record books. Roa ran a time of 17:30.77, placing third and posting the fifth-best time in school history for the event. Redshirt junior Colleen Wetherbee placed fifth in the same event with a time of 18:09.80. Both Roa and Wetherbee will represent UMass at the New England and ECAC Championships, as both performed well enough to qualify.   

Saturday’s performances built upon the already successful first day, as individuals qualified for future competitions. Others, who already qualified based on previous performances this season, continued their strong seasons. 

Senior Sean Busch led the way for UMass, competing in the pole vault. Busch tied the indoor school record in the event, posting a height of 15 feet, 9 inches, which he already was tied for with former UMass star, Ken Schneider (2003). The Stow, Mass. native’s performance Saturday earned him a trip to the IC4A Championships.

“Sean did a great job on building upon what he’s done so far this season,” O’Brien said. “[He has] already qualified for New England’s and IC4A, I look for him to work out kinks next week, like footing on the mat and other things along those lines.”

Already qualified to compete in the New England and IC4A Championships coming up, senior Tyler Cotto posted a time of 8.12 in the 60 meter hurdles, placing first in the event.

“[Tyler] is an extreme competitor, who, like Sean, we’ve relied on to perform every week and he delivers,” O’Brien said.

The 500-meter sophomore tandem of Paul Grafov and Joe Doyle placed ninth and 10th, respectively, with times of 1:05.17 and 1:05.27. Doyle’s time qualified him for the New England Championships in the event.

Four Minutewomen qualified for future competition with impressive performances on Saturday. Junior Chrissy Silvar successfully posted a height of 11-03.75 in the pole vault, placing second in the event and qualifying her for the NEC in the event. Silvar’s mark was good enough for a new season high.

Other UMass women that qualified for the NEC were Elizabeth Fisk (mile, 5:05.93), Meghan Leahy (400 meters, 59.44), and Michelle Jenssen (500 meter, 1:18.05.) Senior Stephanie Aguguo won the triple jump over the weekend, posting a mark of 38-06.25.

Both squads will be back in action next weekend, competing at the Valentine Invitational in Boston. The event will prepare both squads before they head to North Kingston, R.I. to compete in the Atlantic 10 championships the weekend of Feb. 18.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu.