UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Track athletes excel at Giegengack Invitational

Despite the chilling weather and record snowfalls this winter throughout the Northeast, the Massachusetts men’s and women’s track and field squads were red-hot this weekend, as they competed against some of the best schools in the area at the Giegengack Invitational, hosted by Yale.

“Overall, I was very pleased with the way our team performed,” UMass coach Ken O’Brien said. “We had some more guys qualify for [New England] and [IC4A] events and that’s important when thinking about going even further.”

The two-day event on Friday and Saturday proved to be successful for both UMass teams, as many have already secured a spot in both the New England Championships later this month and IC4A Regionals in early March. 

Despite most events not coming until Saturday, Day One proved to be successful for the Minutemen and women that did perform.  

Senior Kevin Spieler placed fifth in the weight throw, with a distance of 54-1.25. The Attleboro, Mass. native was coming off the Reebok Indoor Games the weekend before, where he placed third and set a personal-best with 54-2.75.

The duo of Zachary Koncki and Daniel Wu placed third and fourth, respectively, in the long jump, posting marks of 22-4.50 and 22-3.50. 

With only six performances on the first day for the Minutewomen, some the representatives had impressive performances that set the stage for Day Two. Sophomore Rebecca Banker stood out, posting a high jump of 5-05.00, good enough to win the event and also rank fourth highest all-time in school history.

In the 5,000 meter event, junior Karen Roa joined Banker in the UMass record books. Roa ran a time of 17:30.77, placing third and posting the fifth-best time in school history for the event. Redshirt junior Colleen Wetherbee placed fifth in the same event with a time of 18:09.80. Both Roa and Wetherbee will represent UMass at the New England and ECAC Championships, as both performed well enough to qualify.   

Saturday’s performances built upon the already successful first day, as individuals qualified for future competitions. Others, who already qualified based on previous performances this season, continued their strong seasons. 

Senior Sean Busch led the way for UMass, competing in the pole vault. Busch tied the indoor school record in the event, posting a height of 15 feet, 9 inches, which he already was tied for with former UMass star, Ken Schneider (2003). The Stow, Mass. native’s performance Saturday earned him a trip to the IC4A Championships.

“Sean did a great job on building upon what he’s done so far this season,” O’Brien said. “[He has] already qualified for New England’s and IC4A, I look for him to work out kinks next week, like footing on the mat and other things along those lines.”

Already qualified to compete in the New England and IC4A Championships coming up, senior Tyler Cotto posted a time of 8.12 in the 60 meter hurdles, placing first in the event.

“[Tyler] is an extreme competitor, who, like Sean, we’ve relied on to perform every week and he delivers,” O’Brien said.

The 500-meter sophomore tandem of Paul Grafov and Joe Doyle placed ninth and 10th, respectively, with times of 1:05.17 and 1:05.27. Doyle’s time qualified him for the New England Championships in the event.

Four Minutewomen qualified for future competition with impressive performances on Saturday. Junior Chrissy Silvar successfully posted a height of 11-03.75 in the pole vault, placing second in the event and qualifying her for the NEC in the event. Silvar’s mark was good enough for a new season high.

Other UMass women that qualified for the NEC were Elizabeth Fisk (mile, 5:05.93), Meghan Leahy (400 meters, 59.44), and Michelle Jenssen (500 meter, 1:18.05.) Senior Stephanie Aguguo won the triple jump over the weekend, posting a mark of 38-06.25.

Both squads will be back in action next weekend, competing at the Valentine Invitational in Boston. The event will prepare both squads before they head to North Kingston, R.I. to compete in the Atlantic 10 championships the weekend of Feb. 18.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu.