UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass prepares for Ohio State

Maxwell Sparr

The No. 12 Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team continues to face tough competition to start the 2011 season on Saturday, welcoming No. 15 Ohio State to Garber Field at noon in a battle between two NCAA tournament contenders.     

The Minutemen (2-0) will look for their second win over a ranked opponent this year, but UMass coach Greg Cannella knows this will not be an easy task. 

“Top to bottom this is a good team, a very strong team and obviously they’re coming off a great win so they’re [going to] be fired up,” Cannella said.

The Buckeyes (3-0) upset No. 3 North Carolina last Saturday, 13-8, in a back-and-forth affair. 

OSU features a high-energy, well-coached and emotional style of play as it prepares for its first road game of the season. The Buckeyes defeated Detroit, 4-3, and throttled Mercer, 20-2 in their first two tests of the season. 

The OSU offense features a potent attack, highlighted by sophomores Logan Schuss and Jeff Tundo. Schuss torched the Tar Heels last weekend with three goals and two assists, while Tundo added a goal and assist. Cannella believes the tandem make up “two of the better attackmen we’ll see [this year].” 

Both possess great skills and have a tremendous knack for getting to the net. Schuss led the Buckeyes with 31 goals and 25 assists a year ago, thanks in large part to his size and toughness. Tundo, meanwhile, was second on the team with 20 goals and 15 assists. The Orchard Park, N.Y. native’s quickness and strong left hand make him a tough matchup; Cannella referred to him as a “bull.”  The sophomore has ties to the UMass lacrosse program, as his brothers, Gene and Matt, played for the Minutemen in the early 2000s. 

However, the firepower does not end there. Freshmen Tyler Frederick and Michael Italiano, along with senior Mike Pires, help complete an offensive cast that has posted an average of 12.33 goals per contest this season.   

UMass will be coming off its triumphant second half at Hartford last Saturday, where the Maroon and White dug themselves out of a 7-5 hole to emerge victorious, 14-10.

Cannella stressed the importance of getting off to a fast start in this matchup, as well as every game this season, in order to prevent having to mount another comeback as they did last Saturday. 

“You hope that you can put [together] 60 minutes out there,” Cannella said, hoping his team can match the Buckeyes’ intensity for the entirety of the game.

Junior Art Kell was instrumental in the Minutemen’s win on Saturday, as his eight-point effort earned him the CAA Lacrosse Co-Player of the Week and New England Lacrosse Player of the Week honors. The only returning attack from the 2010 season had six assists in the final 30 minutes to help propel the Maroon and White over the Hawks.

Will Manny kicked it up a notch in the decisive second half as well, tallying four goals in the frame. The sophomore, along with the rest of the UMass attack, will have their hands full against an experienced Buckeye defense.

Junior Keenan Ochwat and red shirt junior Matt Kawamoto anchor the defensive unit for the visiting squad, limiting the opposition to 21.3 shots and 4.33 goals per game thus far.

Freshman Greg Dutton will stand in between the pipes for Ohio State. The Timonium, Md. native was an All-American coming out of high school and was named the Defensive MVP of the Maryland State Lacrosse Coaches Association Senior All-Star Game. Cannella spoke very highly of the goalkeeper, calling Dutton “one of the top goalies coming out of high school.”

Saturday’s matchup will mark the first time the two teams will play in the histories of both lacrosse programs.  Last year’s contest was called off after UMass could not make the trip to Columbus, Ohio due to poor weather conditions. Weather should not be a problem this time around, as forecasts are calling for clear skies on Saturday.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at ssellner@student.umass.edu.