Senior William Werner passes away upon return from SB trip

Facebook.com

For the second time this month, University of Massachusetts students and UMass community members received an email titled “Sad News on a Loss to Our Campus Community” from Dean of Students Jo-Anne Vanin.

Monday’s message announced the untimely passing of UMass senior William “Will” Werner, a kinesiology student who had recently returned to Massachusetts after a spring break trip to the Dominican Republic.

Werner was a native of Centerville, Mass., a community on Cape Cod, and had transferred to the state’s flagship public university in 2008. He was on track to graduate this May, according to the message, and worked at the University in the new Recreation Center and in the Strength and Conditioning Department.

According to his Facebook page, Werner attended Barnstable High School and had worked last summer as a strength and conditioning intern at WCS Gattone Sports Performance in Buffalo Grove, Ill., northwest of Chicago.

Werner listed himself as a fan of the alternative rock band Tool and rappers Jay-Z and Eminem, as well as a sports enthusiast fond of ESPN’s SportsCenter and the workplace comedy “The Office.” On his Twitter page, his most recent activity was a retweet of a Charlie Sheen post. He additionally listed himself as a follower of the New England Patriots, former UMass basketball coach John Calipari, now at the University of Kentucky, and Red Sox infielder Dustin Pedroia.

In her message, Vanin sent her condolences to Werner’s family, friends and colleagues at the University. Funeral arrangements were not immediately available, the message said, but when they are announced, interested parties can contact the Dean of Students office.

The cause of Werner’s death was not immediately made public. The Collegian will have more information on William Werner as friends and family grieve and are more ready to speak about him.

-Collegian News Staff