BC’s methodical rushing attack wears UMass down -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

UMass football dominated as Boston College rolls to a 30-7 victory -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Arrest made after lewd acts on campus -

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Suspect in custody after break-ins on Lincoln Avenue -

Thursday, August 28, 2014

UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

Statistics don’t tell the whole story for UMass this season

The Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team lost its first game of the season this past Saturday, but when looking at the statistics from the game, intangibles could prove vital to its future success as a team.

After a 6-0 start to the season, which propelled them to a No. 12 ranking nationally, the Minutewomen lost 10-8 to No. 15 Albany. However, in the loss, UMass outshot the Great Danes by a margin of plus-11.

With 33 shot opportunities coming in the game, the Minutewomen were not lacking in opportunities to claim a victory. The issue, however, was that these 33 opportunities only led to eight goals by the Minutewomen, their lowest total thus far this season.

Though the loss was not a positive outcome, the fact that the Minutewomen still outshot their opponents is something that can be worked on heading into their next contest against Marist.

In the six games before Albany, UMass took less than 27 shots just twice and recorded a season-high 53 shots against Sienna. The Minutewomen came out victorious against Sienna scoring 16 goals on those 53 shots. In a 17-goal effort against Vermont, the Minutewomen took only 27 shots, scoring on more than half of their shot opportunities.

The team is familiar with success in the shots-on-net category because it has received a high level of production from several players, ranging from veterans to underclassmen.

Coupled with the poor shooting performance, UMass coach Angela McMahon noted that the team needed someone to make a big play at the end of the Albany game and she did not see that.

“In the end, we really needed a big play, and we needed someone to step up and that didn’t really happen,” said McMahon. “We’re going to really challenge the team, the leaders, to see who’s going to step up and make those plays when we need them.”

Katie Ferris, who has posted a team-high 17 goals this season in only five games, also felt as if the loss was not so much because of the way Albany played as much as it was the way UMass did.

“I think we beat ourselves today. It is something that we could have controlled that we just did not capitalize on,” Ferris said.

What McMahon and Ferris are talking about are intangibles, which do not turn up on the scoreboard, such as scoring in clutch situations. The Minutewomen have done this in the past, as they rallied from behind to beat Boston University with less than 10 seconds to play in regulation.

However, in the game against the Great Danes, the Minutewomen were facing an Albany goalie, Anna Berman, who leads the NCAA in goals-against average. Even so, the Minutewomen are among the best teams in the nation on offense, scoring nearly 15 goals per game heading into the contest.

The team has been producing very well in nearly every statistical category possible and even with the loss against Albany, it has shown positive signs. In the end, the Minutewomen season many not come down to the statistical categories so much as it comes down to someone stepping up when needed.

Nicholas Bellofatto can be reached at nbellofa@student.umass.edu.