UMass football can’t overcome four third quarter Mississippi State touchdowns, fall 47-35 Saturday -

UMass football’s fourth quarter comeback attempt falls short against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Despite improvement, UMass football still can’t capture first marquee FBS win -

MassPIRG kicks off for the fall semester -

UMass Resistance Studies Initiative hosts activist and author George Lakey -

UMass field hockey readies for tough tests against Stanford, Boston College -

Calling the shots: everything you need to know about the flu vaccine -

UMass assistant Professor speaks about oppression of American Indians -

Astronomy department head hosting sundial and sky-watching event -

UMass football looks to pull off upset against Mississippi State Saturday -

Cyr: Comis? Ford? Here’s how I would handle the UMass quarterback situation this weekend against Mississippi State -

An unofficial presidential debate drinking game for the unruly masses -

Stop sweating the small stuff -

In defense of being uncomfortable -

Please go to sleep -

VIDEO – ‘Life in the Dollhouse: Wes Anderson and the Dollhouse Aesthetic’ -

Student struck by car near UMass’ Mullins Center -

President Anthony Vitale and Vice President Nick Rampone anticipate productive year at SGA -

Symposium hosts discussion on safety for journalism students -

Andrew Ford, Ross Comis still battling for UMass football’s starting QB position -

Rev. Sorrentino and Rev. Jones to share reading of book

Courtesy amherst.edu

Courtesy amherst.edu

Amherst College’s Director of Religious Life, Rev. Paul Sorrentino has edited a new book called “A Transforming Vision: Multiethnic Fellowship in College and in the Church,” and the Frost Library will host a reading and discussion of the book Tuesday, April 12 at 4 p.m. with Sorrentino and one of the book’s contributors, Rev. Tim Jones, pastor of the First Central Baptist Church in Chicopee.

According to a press release, “A Transforming Vision” is about the importance to Christian communities in being made up of people from different ethnicities, and also discusses how the communities could accomplish this diversity. Doorlight Publications, the book’s publisher, wrote on the website that “the contributing authors worked together in an intentional multiethnic fellowship at Amherst College, and each of them was transformed by the experience.”

Eddy Ekmekji, a pastor with the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship at the California State University at Northridge, reviewed “A Transforming Vision” favorably on his blog, “Serving Bread.” He wrote “The book offers a concrete vision of how the campus ministry at Amherst College grew in its conviction for multiethnicity and how they went about achieving this vision … authentic multiethnicity requires structural changes.”

“I have been a part of a couple of communities who boast multiethnicity as a core value, yet have failed to address the structures that do not make space for a multiethnic vision,” continued Ekmekji. “This community looked at how it does worship and created new structures to create space for people to honestly talk about being a multiethnic community.”

On his staff page for the Amherst College website, Sorrentino wrote, “As director of religious life, my commitment is to support people of all faiths and beliefs and to help them to find communities, be they on or off campus, where they can be spiritually nurtured within their own tradition. I believe that we respond best to religious plurality by encouraging the full expression of different faiths.”

Sorrentino has been director of religious life for 11 years, has advised the Amherst Christian Fellowship for 19 years and has been in campus ministry for 29 years. He holds a Master of Arts degree from the University of Chicago, a Master of Divinity from Bethel Seminary of the East and a Doctor of Divinity from the Princeton Theological Seminary.

Jones is a native of Richmond, Va. and graduated from Amherst College in 2004 with a degree in psychology. He got his M.Div from the Boston University School of Theology in 2009.

Matthew M. Robare can be reached at mrobare@student.umass.edu.