UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Rev. Sorrentino and Rev. Jones to share reading of book

Courtesy amherst.edu

Courtesy amherst.edu

Amherst College’s Director of Religious Life, Rev. Paul Sorrentino has edited a new book called “A Transforming Vision: Multiethnic Fellowship in College and in the Church,” and the Frost Library will host a reading and discussion of the book Tuesday, April 12 at 4 p.m. with Sorrentino and one of the book’s contributors, Rev. Tim Jones, pastor of the First Central Baptist Church in Chicopee.

According to a press release, “A Transforming Vision” is about the importance to Christian communities in being made up of people from different ethnicities, and also discusses how the communities could accomplish this diversity. Doorlight Publications, the book’s publisher, wrote on the website that “the contributing authors worked together in an intentional multiethnic fellowship at Amherst College, and each of them was transformed by the experience.”

Eddy Ekmekji, a pastor with the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship at the California State University at Northridge, reviewed “A Transforming Vision” favorably on his blog, “Serving Bread.” He wrote “The book offers a concrete vision of how the campus ministry at Amherst College grew in its conviction for multiethnicity and how they went about achieving this vision … authentic multiethnicity requires structural changes.”

“I have been a part of a couple of communities who boast multiethnicity as a core value, yet have failed to address the structures that do not make space for a multiethnic vision,” continued Ekmekji. “This community looked at how it does worship and created new structures to create space for people to honestly talk about being a multiethnic community.”

On his staff page for the Amherst College website, Sorrentino wrote, “As director of religious life, my commitment is to support people of all faiths and beliefs and to help them to find communities, be they on or off campus, where they can be spiritually nurtured within their own tradition. I believe that we respond best to religious plurality by encouraging the full expression of different faiths.”

Sorrentino has been director of religious life for 11 years, has advised the Amherst Christian Fellowship for 19 years and has been in campus ministry for 29 years. He holds a Master of Arts degree from the University of Chicago, a Master of Divinity from Bethel Seminary of the East and a Doctor of Divinity from the Princeton Theological Seminary.

Jones is a native of Richmond, Va. and graduated from Amherst College in 2004 with a degree in psychology. He got his M.Div from the Boston University School of Theology in 2009.

Matthew M. Robare can be reached at mrobare@student.umass.edu.