UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Gluten-free is far from free

Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. Some human bodies do not have the enzymes necessary to process this ingredient, found in an astounding variety of processed foods. This condition is characteristic of Celiac disease, a very serious diagnosis. But more common is the choice to avoid gluten by folks who are intolerant to, or allergic to the protein.

Courtesy anh.usa.org

Courtesy anh.usa.org

Gluten-free diets used to be only for people diagnosed with Celiac disease or with a wheat allergy, so just five years ago when my doctors and I figured out that I was gluten intolerant, the whole idea was virtually unheard of. If I wanted gluten-free products, I had to travel to my special health food store where they ordered special products which I tested for them. I was one of their only gluten-free customers. At the time, there were a limited number of companies producing packaged gluten-free goods.

My mom started experimenting with recipes and made me gluten-free bread from scratch, because the options available in the store were frozen and strongly resembled cardboard in taste and texture. Her bread was wonderful, and I was shocked and refreshed that food without gluten could be so satisfying.

I have always been a fan of cooking, and when I had to eliminate wheat, barley, rye and most malts from my diet and my cooking, I was devastated. Then I figured out that gluten-free food could be just as good as regular food, as long as the cook understood the right substitutions. I have since been cooking all of my own gluten-free foods –

cookies, cakes, breads and whatever I want. I have done my homework and figured out where rice flour can replace wheat flour, and where tapioca starch and corn flour can replace rye flour.

I personally have not had too much of a problem adjusting, but for the rest of the dieters out there who aren’t interested in cooking and have no options other than purchasing gluten free goods in stores, it is another situation.

Today, gluten-free diets are all the rage. It eliminates refined flours from your diet and is a quick way to lose weight. People with no medical condition or reason to avoid wheat, barley and rye are going gluten-free and feeling good about it. Instead of going to a special store for the products, every supermarket has a gluten-free alternative on the shelf next to their regular products. It’s great. Or is it?

The thing about this kind of food, even though it is all the rage, is that companies who produce packaged foods which are marketed as “gluten-free” know that the portion of the population who have a reason to avoid gluten have no choice but to pay astronomical prices for these products. Every producer of gluten-free pasta manufactures eight-ounce boxes of pasta instead of the standard pound, and these half-pound boxes cost no less than $4 each. Regular semolina wheat pasta costs no more than $2 for a pound; the gluten-free option costs double the amount.

The cost of this dietary choice is outrageous, and it is all due to manufacturers who know that their niche market will pay, because they must. The answer? Just because you see a $7 bag of animal cookies on the shelf that is marked “gluten-free” doesn’t mean you should buy it. Would regular animal crackers be on your shopping list if you were a regular shopper? No. The words “gluten-free” convince you to buy something you wouldn’t need anyways.

To all you gluten-free eaters out there – first of all, cut it out, stop paying for food you wouldn’t buy in the first place. Secondly, going gluten-free means stepping into the world of do-it-yourself. You could pay $10 for a box of gluten-free quick risotto with spinach and mushrooms, or you could do your research and learn that risotto is gluten-free naturally, and you could make that same risotto for much less if you purchased a $3 bag of Arborio rice and some veggies.

Stop spending ridiculous amounts on gluten-free frozen breaded chicken cutlets, and make a gluten-free bread from one of the easily accessible recipes online. Make some breadcrumbs, grab some bags of gluten-free flour that you will get more than one meal out of and bread your own chicken for the price of a package of chicken. It is worth the investment to stock your kitchen with gluten-free flours and ingredients and gain a little knowledge on the diet. I promise, it will pay off and you will save yourself some gluten-free dough.

Cassina Brown is a Collegian columnist and can be reached at cassina@student.umass.edu.

6 Responses to “Gluten-free is far from free”
  1. Alexa Day says:

Hi Cassina,

After reading your article online, we at Tia’s Bakery Gluten Free want you to have some delicious desserts that are really gluten “free.”
    I’d love to sent you some of products to enjoy.

Tia’s Bakery is a family owned and operated company based in El Segundo, CA. Our complete company history and the story of how we got our name and started in business is on our website. Our certified GF cakes, cookies and brownies are available in stores from Hawaii to New York.

I really enjoyed your article.

Alexa Day
    Account Executive
    (877) 569-5888

Visit our webpage at: http://www.tiasbakery.com
    Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/tiasglutenfree
    Visit us on FaceBook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tias-Bakery/83113034093?ref=mf

2. Henedine says:

Great article. I have Celiac and prepare food products are very expensive. Maybe Gov should put a control over the prices. Keep the good work Cassina.

3. Terri says:

I agree wholeheartedly! Even before I was diagnosed, I cooked from scratch – it all tastes better! Bakery cakes and cakes from boxes – gag! Another good recipe I found is for chicken. Dip chicken first in either blue cheese or ranch salad dressing (watch the ingredients or make your own) and some hot sauce or cayenne pepper, and then in crushed organic corn flakes with a little parsly, salt and pepper. Bake in pan or cookie sheet – use a little olive oil on pan. Delicious and gluten-free! Also – chocolate cake – substitute your own all-purpose GF flour mix in any scratch cake. Hersheys Black Magic Special is one of the best (hersheys.com). Delicious! Better if use olive oil than veg oil in cakes. I am getting hungry keying this!

4. Please support my petition for the Girl Scouts to sell a gluten free and allergen free cookie. http://www.change.org/petitions/encourage-the-girl-scouts-to-sell-an-allergen-free-cookie

5. GamesP says:

Yesterday I decided to put a raw scallop inside a Bisquik cheesy biscuit—it was the BOMB! Perfectly cooked, delicious. have you ever invented a new food?

6. I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i am satisfied to express that I have a very excellent uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I most without a doubt will make sure to do not forget this web site and give it a look on a continuing basis.