Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Colarossi’s header gives Minutewomen third-straight win

Matt Modica

Deanna Colarossi’s header off a corner kick in the fourth minute of extra time lifted the Massachusetts women’s soccer team over Brown, 1-0, Thursday at Rudd Field.

“We came out a bit slow, but then we started working together as a team, and that’s what paid off,” said Colarossi, a senior forward.

“It always feels good to beat a team that we lost to last year, especially when it happened away from home,” added Colarossi on last year’s 3-2 loss in Providence, R.I.

The win gave UMass (5-2-1) its third-straight 1-0 victory.

In extra time, freshman forward Tori Sousa fed Colarossi off a left-side corner kick and the co-captain finished with a header.

“I normally don’t take corners,” said Sousa, who contributed to the only corner kick resulting in a goal this season for the Minutewomen. “We’ve been coming in early every day, practicing it. It was really good to finally get one in.”

UMass is riding its three-game winning streak on multiple players putting the ball in the net late in games. Colarossi, who led the Minutewomen in goals last season with nine, is the latest player to contribute to the team’s recent offensive success.

“Deanna led us in goals last year, and she’s very talented around the box,” said UMass coach Ed Matz. “It’s good for her to get this goal now, to get her confidence going with Atlantic 10 coming up.”

Despite the Bears maintaining control of the ball for most of the first half, the Minutewomen nearly took a first half lead when Julie Morrissey’s header in the box sailed just over the top crossbar in the 18th minute.

Freshman midfielder Moa Mattsson also had an opportunity in the first half, a shot 15 yards out on target that was stopped by Brown’s Amber Bledsoe.

UMass goalkeeper Emily Cota continued her impressive play for the Minutewomen, shutting-out her third-straight opponent. Cota, who saved four shots, was tested early on with deep shots on target.

“Emily did a good job of holding onto the crosses,” said Matz. “The ball was slick [with the rain] and that was our biggest fear.”

Morrissey’s second opportunity to give UMass a first half lead came in the 37th minute when she put a cross on net deep from the left side. But Bledsoe again made the save in front to keep the game scoreless.

The Bears had their chances early on, rifling deep shots that went off posts at every angle. Chloe Cross, who earned Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors earlier this week, nearly put Brown on top late in the first half. Cross received a pass outside to the left of the box, putting a direct strike on net that Cota got her hands on to save.

The Minutewomen’s ability to control the midfield and push the Bears’ players off to the side came mostly in the second half, as UMass dictated the control and direction of the ball.

“We always try to play in the middle,” said Matz. “[With the 4-3-2-1 formation], it was frustrating in the first half, because they would play six players back. We were able to play in the middle in the second half a lot more. We’re able to accomplish a lot of our goals that way.”

The most noteworthy offensive chance in regulation for UMass came in the 73rd minute when Cecilia Jensen’s shot was taken off the body of MC Barrett, who came in relief of Bledsoe in the second half. Sousa, who came into the box hard, was unable to capitalize as Barrett recovered in time to retrieve the loose ball.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu.