Luke Pavone jumpstarts UMass men’s soccer’s comeback effort in win over Fairfield -

Saturday, September 20, 2014

UMass men’s soccer earns first win of the season in emotional home opener -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Ed Davis report leaves nobody blameless -

Friday, September 19, 2014

White House starts public awareness drive to prevent sexual attacks on campus -

Friday, September 19, 2014

Work already underway for SGA speaker Sïonan Barrett -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Nostalgia and angst abound in ‘Palo Alto’ -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Want student power? End the SGA -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Millennials’ votes can make a difference in all elections -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass faculty member Bonnie Strickland recognized for work in psychology -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass women’s soccer suffers major set back with injury to co-captain Jackie Bruno -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass men’s soccer returns home looking for season’s first win -

Thursday, September 18, 2014

UMass professor Elizabeth Chilton to speak in Madrid and Paris about importance of heritage studies -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass club rugby hopes to continue momentum despite opening loss -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bizarre foods eaten worldwide -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

US should spend more on space -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Walking through a week of practice with UMass field hockey -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UMass receives $37.5 million for environmental and sustainability initiatives -

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Podlofsky, Glasper shine for Minutewomen

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

Jessica Podlofsky and Chanel Glasper led a strong showing by the Massachusetts tennis team this weekend at Army’s Eastern Collegiate Invitational, winning its respective tennis flight titles.

The Minutewomen started off the tournament with an impressive Friday, advancing six of their eight participants in the invitational onto the second day of action with victories from Sonia Bokhari, Julia Comas, Podlofsky, Glasper, Chantal Swiszcz and Jocelyn Providence.

Due to inclement weather on Friday, most of the matches were played in pro-style, meaning that a victory was achieved when a player reached eight games, as long as they led by at least two wins.

Yuliana Motyl received a first-round bye in flight but dropped a tight second-round match 9-8 (3) against Sacred Heart’s Gabi Kaldan. Bianca Drabek fell in the only match played for UMass in the traditional best-of-three-set format, 6-1, 6-1 to Pittsburgh’s Taylor Washington in Flight D.

Saturday saw a flurry of action as Podlofsky and Glasper advanced to their flights’ finals on Sunday.

Podlofsky, the No. 4 seed in the B division, was able to win a grueling quarterfinal match 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 over Connecticut’s Alexa Gregory and then rolled over the No. 2 seed, Stony Brook’s Prerana Appineni in straight sets.
Glasper was also able to impress on Saturday in a tough quarterfinal match in the C flight over No. 3 Julie Leong of Fordham, 5-7, 6-4, 10-5. Glasper then dominated the No. 1 seed Sarah Viebrock of Quinnipiac, 6-1, 6-3.

No. 2 seed Providence from the Flight D, Bokhari from Flight A and No. 1 seed Comas from Flight B advanced to their flight semifinals before losing on Saturday. Swiszcz also made it to the semifinals in Flight C but had to withdraw from the tournament due to an injury.

On championship Sunday, Podlofsky remained undefeated by defeating St. Bonaventure’s Marissa Brossard 7-5, 6-3 to improve to 8-0 on the season. The sophomore also was named UMass’ Athlete of the Week.

Glasper impressed the field by winning the Flight C with a victory over Stony Brook’s Polina Movchan 6-4, 6-1, despite being unseeded in the tournament to improve to 7-1 on the season.

“I was very pleased with the effort from everyone on the team,” said UMass coach Judy Dixon. “I have felt like the last two weeks have been very positive and what coaches need this time of year is to take a look at their players and see what we need to work on,” she said.

“We’ve seen the improvement that we needed to see,” she added. “We need to see improvement in some places but I would say that in general our start has been very positive.”

The team will put its strong start to the test as dual matches begin this Saturday when it plays host to Providence at 1 p.m.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu.