Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SGA election reforms address some, but not all concerns -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Emily O’Neil hopes to increase diversity and improve Title IX training as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The next journalist under fire -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Letter: A call for action and cooperation -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student trustee candidate Kabir Thatte looks to create his own path as a UMass legacy student within SGA -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 1, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kelly, Gay to focus on transparency, accessibility and sexual assault training -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy breathing tricks to de-stress during midterms -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lack of transparency from Elections Commission endangers spring ballot -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Podlofsky, Glasper shine for Minutewomen

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

Jessica Podlofsky and Chanel Glasper led a strong showing by the Massachusetts tennis team this weekend at Army’s Eastern Collegiate Invitational, winning its respective tennis flight titles.

The Minutewomen started off the tournament with an impressive Friday, advancing six of their eight participants in the invitational onto the second day of action with victories from Sonia Bokhari, Julia Comas, Podlofsky, Glasper, Chantal Swiszcz and Jocelyn Providence.

Due to inclement weather on Friday, most of the matches were played in pro-style, meaning that a victory was achieved when a player reached eight games, as long as they led by at least two wins.

Yuliana Motyl received a first-round bye in flight but dropped a tight second-round match 9-8 (3) against Sacred Heart’s Gabi Kaldan. Bianca Drabek fell in the only match played for UMass in the traditional best-of-three-set format, 6-1, 6-1 to Pittsburgh’s Taylor Washington in Flight D.

Saturday saw a flurry of action as Podlofsky and Glasper advanced to their flights’ finals on Sunday.

Podlofsky, the No. 4 seed in the B division, was able to win a grueling quarterfinal match 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 over Connecticut’s Alexa Gregory and then rolled over the No. 2 seed, Stony Brook’s Prerana Appineni in straight sets.
Glasper was also able to impress on Saturday in a tough quarterfinal match in the C flight over No. 3 Julie Leong of Fordham, 5-7, 6-4, 10-5. Glasper then dominated the No. 1 seed Sarah Viebrock of Quinnipiac, 6-1, 6-3.

No. 2 seed Providence from the Flight D, Bokhari from Flight A and No. 1 seed Comas from Flight B advanced to their flight semifinals before losing on Saturday. Swiszcz also made it to the semifinals in Flight C but had to withdraw from the tournament due to an injury.

On championship Sunday, Podlofsky remained undefeated by defeating St. Bonaventure’s Marissa Brossard 7-5, 6-3 to improve to 8-0 on the season. The sophomore also was named UMass’ Athlete of the Week.

Glasper impressed the field by winning the Flight C with a victory over Stony Brook’s Polina Movchan 6-4, 6-1, despite being unseeded in the tournament to improve to 7-1 on the season.

“I was very pleased with the effort from everyone on the team,” said UMass coach Judy Dixon. “I have felt like the last two weeks have been very positive and what coaches need this time of year is to take a look at their players and see what we need to work on,” she said.

“We’ve seen the improvement that we needed to see,” she added. “We need to see improvement in some places but I would say that in general our start has been very positive.”

The team will put its strong start to the test as dual matches begin this Saturday when it plays host to Providence at 1 p.m.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu.