UMass tennis rallies past St. Johns to give Red Storm first loss of season -

UMass community grieves for beloved friend and mentor James Tilley -

Amherst Board of Health votes against reinstating College Pizza’s food establishment license -

Top 25 Notebook: Duke gets back on winning track taking down No.13 Louisville Monday -

Battle of the bottom: UMass women’s basketball travels to La Salle Wednesday -

UMass hockey averts crisis in 4-3 overtime thriller against AIC -

Steven Iacobellis and Austin Plevy rekindle their relationship on the ice -

My generation may be ‘Feeling the Bern’, but I’m still with Clinton -

Favoritism in the school system -

The perfect Valentine’s Day treat: Dark chocolate ganache -

Eat, sleep, strap on a fitness band, repeat -

Storify: Sanders, Trump both record large victories in Granite State -

Dear UMass Administration: Practice what you preach -

Student-run political groups gear up for the Massachusetts primary -

UMass prepares for matchups with AIC, Northeastern -

Football, social Goods, and choice -

Rihanna makes her biggest artistic statement on ‘Anti’ -

Berthiaume Center recognized with top entrepreneurship award -

Massachusetts club hockey holds on for 5-4 victory over Montclair State -

A-10 Notebook: Davidson, George Washington earn conference wins -

Podlofsky, Glasper shine for Minutewomen

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

Jessica Podlofsky and Chanel Glasper led a strong showing by the Massachusetts tennis team this weekend at Army’s Eastern Collegiate Invitational, winning its respective tennis flight titles.

The Minutewomen started off the tournament with an impressive Friday, advancing six of their eight participants in the invitational onto the second day of action with victories from Sonia Bokhari, Julia Comas, Podlofsky, Glasper, Chantal Swiszcz and Jocelyn Providence.

Due to inclement weather on Friday, most of the matches were played in pro-style, meaning that a victory was achieved when a player reached eight games, as long as they led by at least two wins.

Yuliana Motyl received a first-round bye in flight but dropped a tight second-round match 9-8 (3) against Sacred Heart’s Gabi Kaldan. Bianca Drabek fell in the only match played for UMass in the traditional best-of-three-set format, 6-1, 6-1 to Pittsburgh’s Taylor Washington in Flight D.

Saturday saw a flurry of action as Podlofsky and Glasper advanced to their flights’ finals on Sunday.

Podlofsky, the No. 4 seed in the B division, was able to win a grueling quarterfinal match 6-4, 4-6, 10-7 over Connecticut’s Alexa Gregory and then rolled over the No. 2 seed, Stony Brook’s Prerana Appineni in straight sets.
Glasper was also able to impress on Saturday in a tough quarterfinal match in the C flight over No. 3 Julie Leong of Fordham, 5-7, 6-4, 10-5. Glasper then dominated the No. 1 seed Sarah Viebrock of Quinnipiac, 6-1, 6-3.

No. 2 seed Providence from the Flight D, Bokhari from Flight A and No. 1 seed Comas from Flight B advanced to their flight semifinals before losing on Saturday. Swiszcz also made it to the semifinals in Flight C but had to withdraw from the tournament due to an injury.

On championship Sunday, Podlofsky remained undefeated by defeating St. Bonaventure’s Marissa Brossard 7-5, 6-3 to improve to 8-0 on the season. The sophomore also was named UMass’ Athlete of the Week.

Glasper impressed the field by winning the Flight C with a victory over Stony Brook’s Polina Movchan 6-4, 6-1, despite being unseeded in the tournament to improve to 7-1 on the season.

“I was very pleased with the effort from everyone on the team,” said UMass coach Judy Dixon. “I have felt like the last two weeks have been very positive and what coaches need this time of year is to take a look at their players and see what we need to work on,” she said.

“We’ve seen the improvement that we needed to see,” she added. “We need to see improvement in some places but I would say that in general our start has been very positive.”

The team will put its strong start to the test as dual matches begin this Saturday when it plays host to Providence at 1 p.m.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu.