Thursday’s NCAA tournament rematch between UMass men’s soccer and Colgate will be a battle of adjustments -

Veteran belonging and the decline of American communities discussed by journalist and author at Amherst College -

‘UMass Cares About Cancer’ Hosts Blanket Making Event -

UMass women’s basketball heads to North Dakota for two games -

UMass football sets its sights on BYU -

SGA looks to elect new Senate body

Click here for SGA Senator Voting Guide

With the semester in full swing, the Student Government Association (SGA) looks to elect its body for the 2011-2012 school year. The elections commence today and end Sept. 29 at 11:59 p.m. The voting will take place online at Campus Pulse.

While there are some senators running for re-election, many of the candidates are new to the SGA. The returning members include Adam Baldarelli, Nick Barton, Zac Broughton, Alex Cidado, Garrett Gowen, Nate Lamb, Benjamin Lee, Sean O’Connor, Allison Sacks, Dan Stratford, Jessica Stern and Lindsay Vitale.

Aside from the incumbents, new faces are running in all areas.

Running for three spots in Sylvan are Jonathan Lopez and Clay Merrill.

In Orchard Hill, five candidates are vying for four positions. The candidates are Priya Ghosh, Garrett Gowen, Nate Richardson, Vikrant Sunderal Chandel and Mik Ziencina.

In the Northeast Residential Area, Avery Normyle, Paola Ozuna, Tin-Lan Shing and Brigid Thompson are running for positions.

Residents in the North Apartments area have two spots to fill and the candidates are Hanan Nicola Bumpus and Sophia Zaman.

Moving across campus to the Central Residential Area, residents will choose from fourteen candidates to fill five different seats in the senate. The candidates are Renee Barouxis, Zac Bears, Samuel Dauphinais, Diego Fellows, Tracy Gebhart, Emily Grey, Evan Heller, Amy Hien, Benjamin Lees, Savannah Leuvan-Smith, Keith Lima, William Rigel Jennings, Sean O’Connor and William Stilwell.

The six spots available in the Southwest North region are being campaigned for by Adam Baldarelli, Magda Compere, Maurice Gatengo, John Kyle Jessey, Jacob Schissel and Ryan Teixeira.

Vying for the seven available seats in Southwest South are Nick Barton, Zac Broughton, Willis Chen, Gabrielle Cook, Mitch Fleischman, Emily Hajjar, Nate Howe, Obi Iloh, Rebecca Kwakye, Jennifer Melifonwu, Tim Nikolouzos, Emily Notini, Holli Selman, Joane Theophil and Lindsay Vitale.

Running for the nineteen commuter spots are Trevor Bullard, Alex Cidado, Dillan Curtis, Michael Cusher, Nate Lamb, Christopher Lehmann, Allison McGrail, Tyler Manoukian, John Rockwell, Allison Sacks, Jessica Stern, Dan Stratford and Hailey Wallace.

On the ballot this year are two referendum questions that deal with the ongoing debate about the new tobacco ban.  The questions will appear on the ballot as follows:

1. Do you support the “A Tobacco Free UMass Amherst” policy that was passed by the Faculty Senate last year?  This policy bans all use of tobacco on campus (including chewing tobacco and including tobacco use in privately owned vehicles) as well as electronic cigarettes.

2. Do you support the “Designated Smoking Area Policy” that was introduced in the Student Senate last semester (as a compromise between the “A Tobacco Free UMass Amherst” policy and our current policy which restricts smoking to 20 feet from buildings) which bans smoking on campus except in weather-proof designated smoking areas to be provided by the University; much like the smoking gazebos at Hampshire College (does not affect chewing tobacco or electronic cigarettes or smoking inside privately owned vehicles)?

Ashley Berger can be reached at aberger@student.umass.edu.