Bowl Weekend set to be ‘very successful’ -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Win-and-in situation looms for UMass men’s lacrosse against Delaware -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Brewed of the Gods – Dogfish Head Theobroma -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Never again, never forget: Remembering the Armenian genocide -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse prepares for final two regular season games -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Food of the World: Vietnam -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Indie duo The Both to perform at Pearl Street -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

USDA grants awarded to UMass faculty -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

UMass baseball team heads to Bronx for three-game set vs. Fordham -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Workout on the Quad comes to UMass -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Time to reconsider ‘war on terror’ -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

UMass men’s lacrosse has received solid play from freshmen all year -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Renowned rabbi discusses the role of religion in American policy -

UMass baseball haunted by missed opportunities in 8-5 loss -

‘Transcendence’ a fumbling cautionary tale -

Freedom of speech for campus employees -

‘Veep’ continues to be one of the smartest comedies around -

‘Noah’ a sinking ship -

Letter: A response to ‘There is nothing to debate about global warming’ -

Push for punishment equality -

Bash at Southwest beach to take place Saturday

Mathew Harrison/Collegian

Since his hiring back in 2008, Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg has geared a lot of his energy towards students and general UMass basketball fans.

This Saturday, Kellogg will make another attempt to transform the UMass basketball culture in the form of the first annual “Bash at Southwest Beach.”

The event will take place from 4 to 6:30 p.m. Saturday. at the horseshoe in the Southwest Residential Area. All students and fans are invited to attend.

“I think the students are looking for some things to do on the weekends, and me being a former student and player here, I thought it’d be a great opportunity to give them one more thing,” said Kellogg.

Some of the features, according to a press release, include a dance party hosted by DJ Killa Instinkt, t-shirt giveaways, tailgating, free Domino’s pizza and one of the newest items on campus – Baby Berk, a UMass Dining food truck.

The event also features a raffle for an iPad and a chance to partake in the Coca-Cola Shootout.

The winner of the Coca-Cola shootout – a shooting competition that will span four UMass events – will receive two tickets to the Paradise Islands in the Bahamas, the site of the Battle 4 Atlantis, a tournament the UMass basketball team will participate in from Nov. 24 to 26.

“It’s kind of like an old school midnight madness, but just pushed back a day,” said Kellogg of the festivities. “I think it will be a fun day to come out and enjoy the weather and spend time with your fellow students.”

Ultimately, Kellogg hopes that the “Bash at Southwest Beach” will provide his players with the opportunity to connect with the UMass faithful.

“I’m looking for them to become more inundated with the school and with the regular students,” said Kellogg.

This season, the Kellogg has made an attempt to stress the importance of a strong relationship between the student body and his players.

“I think it’s imperative,” said Kellogg. “The teams that are what you’d call your perennial national powers, they all have a huge student following.”

Legendary coach Mike Krzyzewski helped build a stellar fan-player relationship at Duke University and his program thrives off of the brand they’ve created, Kellogg noted.

“When you think of a team like Duke, you really think of [its] Cameron Crazies, and [its] student population,” said Kellogg.

Replicating the atmosphere at Cameron Indoor Stadium overnight, Kellogg said, is an unrealistic goal, but he said he hopes that the “Bash at Southwest Beach” generates excitement over the team this year among its fan base.

With any luck, the event will be a mainstay in the activities leading up to the regular season in future years, Kellogg said.

“I’m hoping it becomes a yearly event where when kids come in as freshmen or sophomores, they’re looking forward to this day and maybe we can make it a yearly occasion,” said Kellogg.

“It’s really just a day to have some fun,” he added.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.