UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass gains 4 points over weekend

The Massachusetts men’s soccer team embarked on its first Atlantic 10 road trip of the season and came away with a victory and a draw.

On Sunday afternoon, the Minutemen (4-9-1, 2-1-1 A-10) played to a 0-0 draw with La Salle at McCarthy Stadium in Philadelphia.

There was no dearth of scoring opportunities for either team despite the final score as the teams combined for 40 shots overall.

UMass unloaded 21 shots, with 11 challenging LSU goalkeeper John McCarthy, while the Explorers (4-6-3, 2-0-2 A-10) took 19 shots, and forced Maroon and White goaltender Shane Curran-Hays to make four saves.

After 90 minutes, neither team had found the back of the net, despite numerous chances including a David Key shot that bounced off the crossbar in the 12th minute.

La Salle’s Andre Weyershaeuser also had a shot go off the woodwork in the 92nd minute.

Neither team scored in the two 10-minute overtime periods either, meaning the end result would be a tie, with each team being rewarded one point in the standings.

Sunday’s game was UMass’ fourth overtime contest of the season, bringing its overtime record to 1-2-1 in games that required an extra period.

Junior Hellah Sidibe (seven shots) and senior Chris Roswess (three shots) highlighted an offensive attack that saw 11 different players attempt at least one shot. In addition, the 21 shots at La Salle was a season high.

On the other side, Jason Plumhoff led the Explorers with five shots, while Weyershaeuser and Ryan Sepe contributed three shots apiece.

Senior Bryant Craft, last year’s top scorer for the Minutemen, made his return to the lineup Sunday afternoon after missing the last four games with an injury.

Despite the return, Craft was unable to make his presence felt on offense as he was held without a shot in the game.

UMass had played well without Craft as it went 3-1 during his absence including an impressive wins against formerly No. 19 Bradley, and A-10’s second-place team, Fordham.

With the draw, the Minutemen now sit in a three-way tie for third place with five regular season games left on the schedule. Considering that those remaining games are against lesser opponents, UMass might have a legitimate shot at making the A-10 Tournament.

The Minutemen will continue their road trip as they return to the state of Pennsylvania for a 7 p.m. battle with Duquesne next Friday.

Leading Rams rocked

Sunday’s tie came on the heels of a 1-0 victory for the Minutemen on Friday at the Rams (7-5-1, 3-1-0 A-10).

The win was UMass’ third in four games and their second-straight against an A-10 opponent.

Emerging sophomore star Brett Canepa scored the game’s only goal in the 32nd minute on a penalty kick.

Canepa duplicated his previous game’s performance against Saint Louis when he also scored on a penalty kick to give his team a 1-0 win. The goal was his third of the season, and he leads the team in points (seven) and goals (three).

UMass emerged with a victory despite being dominated in shots taken by the Rams.

Fordham outshot the Minutemen, 15-5, but the Rams only put two of those shots on goal.

Play slowed significantly towards the end of the second half as neither team attempted a shot during the last 24 minutes.

Matt Courtenay tallied a game-high five shots and Nathaniel Bekoe and Jon Niyonsaba both had three shots for Fordham.

Curran-Hays was again a brick wall in net for UMass, stopping two shots, while his counterpart, Ryan Meara made three saves.

Jackson Alexander can be reached at jtalexan@student.umass.edu.