Video monitoring equipment installed throughout Amherst in preparation for ‘Blarney’ -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Professor Neil Forbes receives $1.56 million grant to develop cancer-killing Salmonella -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

UMass, Trey Davis ready for Richmond and Kendall Anthony -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Milan Fashion Week mixes the old with the new -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Smartphone surge following historic net neutrality decision shows relationship between technology and consumers -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tournament time: UMass women’s basketball faces St. Bonaventure in A-10 opener -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Bread & Butter brings local produce to Amherst’s breakfast scene -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

‘Blarney’ guest policy is too harsh and was announced too late -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Esho and Lalanne ready for one final show at Mullins Center -

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: March 3, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

No. 1 Eagles soar past Minutemen, 4-2

Bill Arnold scored two goals to propel No. 1 Boston College to victory Friday night, defeating the Massachusetts hockey team, 4-2, in Chestnut Hill.

The Eagles (4-1-0, 2-0-0 Hockey East) own the series against UMass (1-2-1, 0-2-1 HEA), winning 50-of-63 games played all-time between the two.

“We have to solve some little issues,” said Minutemen coach Don Cahoon. “We can’t continue to put ourselves in a position to beat ourselves. That will be the work and direction of this week [in practice].”

UMass will return to play Friday as it hosts No. 7 Boston University at the Mullins Center in the first game of a home-and-away series.

Arnold gave BC the early lead just 78 seconds into the game, netting the first of his two goals on the night to give the Eagles a 1-0 advantage. Arnold has emerged as the central offensive threat for BC, recording a team-high of nine points in the Eagle’s first five games.

The Minutemen countered at the 8:23 mark when freshman Andrew Tegeler scored his first collegiate goal to tie the game at 1-1. The Hopkinton native posted 44 points while playing for the Junior Bruins last year before attending UMass.

“I was really happy for Andrew,” said Cahoon. “He was in the right place at the right time with the good rebound goal … I thought he handled the intensity of the game and the challenge.”

BC regained the lead with just over three minutes left in the first when Chris Kreider scored a power play goal, giving the Eagles a 2-1 lead going into the first intermission.

Despite committing four penalties in the second period, the Minutemen would hang tough, allowing only one goal on 14 shots. Sophomore Jeff Teglia, who took over in net midway through last Saturday’s game against Providence, received the start, saving 31 shots.

“I thought he was pretty solid all night,” said Cahoon of Teglia’s performance. “He gave us a chance to be in the game.”

The deciding factors in the contest were the penalties, consequently resulting in long shifts and a lack of offensive opportunities.

“We spent a lot of time killing penalties,” said Cahoon, who watched his team commit 10 penalties in the game, including a 10-minute misconduct call on senior T.J. Syner in the final period.

Johnny Gaudreau increased BC’s lead in the third period to 4-1 when he scored an unassisted power play goal. Senior Michael Marcou pulled UMass within two at 4-2, when he netted his first goal of the season with just under three minutes left in the game.

Although Teglia was pulled with 35 seconds left, the Minutemen were unable to create any chances and the Eagles grabbed the first of three season-series games between both teams.

BC held the shot advantage in the game at 35-to-20 over UMass. The Minutemen were unable to create opportunities on the power play, going 0-for-7 on conversions.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Cournoyer.