Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Minutemen knock off top team in hockey, Boston College

In front of a raucous crowd of 7,622, the Massachusetts hockey team did something it failed to do last weekend.

The Minutemen defeated the top team in the nation, No. 1 Boston College, in convincing fashion.

“This game was definitely huge, just for team morale, having the feeling again of what it’s like to win,” said senior forward Danny Hobbs following the Minutemen’s victory, their first win against a Hockey East opponent this season.

The victory over the Eagles (8-2-0, 6-1-0 HEA) marks only the third time the Minutemen have defeated a No. 1-ranked team, the last time coming on Nov. 14, 2008 in a 5-1 win over BU. The last time UMass (2-4-2, 1-4-2 HEA) won against any ranked team was against then-No. 17 Maine on Mar. 6, 2010.

Following the Minutemen’s 7-3 loss on Friday, a game that featured three goals in the first and second periods by New Hampshire, a quiet collection of UMass players filled the seats of the opposing team’s locker room in Durham, N.H.

“It was a tough one to swallow,”  said senior forward T.J. Syner of the effort in Friday’s contest. “[Going in Saturday’s matchup] we kind of mentally prepared differently … everyone was a little more quiet and just with themselves.”

But on Saturday, BC jumped out to an early lead in the opening period. Five minutes into the first, Steven Whitney found a pass from the top of the left circle from Pat Mullane and proceeded to net his 10th goal of the season, giving the Eagles a 1-0 advantage.

UMass quickly answered back, finding the equalizer just one minute and 45 seconds later. Forward Michael Pereira sent home a rebound in front of the net off a deep shot from defensemen Adam Phillips to tie the game at 1-1.

There was not much in the way of offense in the latter half of the first and all of the second periods of play. With the score tied at 1-1 going into the second intermission, Saturday’s game for BC was only the second time that the Eagles scored one or fewer goals through the first two periods of any game this season.

“It’s great…we’re so happy right now,” said freshman goalkeeper Kevin Boyle, who has been in net for the Minutemen’s two victories this year.

Four minutes into the final period, Steven Guzzo gave UMass a 2-1 lead. Guzzo netted a controversial goal in front of a crowded net. The play, originally scored as a goal, was not reviewed due to technical malfunctions of the replay monitor.

“We were going hard to the net and good things happen,” said UMass coach Don Cahoon.

Freshman Oleg Yevenko rifled home his first career goal 13:29 into the period to increase the Minutemen’s lead at 3-1.

BC pulled within one just over two minutes later. Chris Kreider sent home a goal on an Eagle’s power play, his eighth goal of the season.

UMass sealed the deal with under a minute to play when Syner sent home an empty netter after a failed BC clearing attempt.

“It’s hard not to look at the clock … the time’s going real slow,” said Boyle of the moments in the final period winding down. “You just got to stay calm, composed and get the puck, track it and make the saves you need to.”

Boyle saved 24 shots, including 13 in the final period of play.

The Minutemen will be back in action Friday as they host Holy Cross at the Mullins Center. The puck drops at 6 p.m.

Scott Cournoyer can be reached at scournoy@student.umass.edu or followed on Twitter @MDC_Cournoyer.

You must be logged in to post a comment.