UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

Minutewomen dominant in the paint, but turnovers prove too costly

Lorin Reid/Collegian

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team made a concerted effort to get the ball inside, but those efforts were neutralized by its inability to take care of the basketball in a 58-55 overtime loss to Central Connecticut Wednesday night at the Mullins Center.

UMass finished the game with 15 assists against 27 turnovers, four of which came in an overtime that they were unable to score in, missing all six shots from the field.

Junior center Jasmine Watson was UMass’ most effective player, logging 15 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks for her 10th career double-double. Junior forward Shakia Robinson nearly added a double-double of her own as she finished with 12 points and nine rebounds. Both players were impressive at times, seemingly scoring at will in the post.

Watson – who struggled with her shot in the opener against Boston University, going scoreless on 0-for-7 shooting from the field – shot 7-for-15 from the field Wednesday night, while Robinson went 6-10. What helped diminish each of these performances, though, was the stat showed near the end of the stat line: turnovers. Watson committed three and Robinson committed six, all of which contributed in sealing the Minutewomen’s defeat.

Another forward, redshirt freshman Millie Niggeling, provided a spark for UMass in the first half, scoring six points while showing a versatile inside-out game.

“Millie’s extremely skilled on the offensive end,” head coach Sharon Dawley said.

Niggeling had an opportunity to seal the win for UMass as time winded down in regulation, but her close range shot rimmed out. Niggeling said that she wasn’t aware of just how much time was left on the clock at the time, but that she knows Dawley has confidence in her and that she will be able to contribute to the team, especially on the offensive end of the floor.

Dawley would add that while the forwards should be dominant, the amount of turnovers that UMass committed proved too much to overcome, turning what should have been an advantage into something that ultimately helped UMass lose the game.

The guards, who in spurts were able to successfully get the ball inside where the Minutewomen could take full advantage of their skills down low, were also erratic in their ball control. The two starting guards, Megan Zullo and Carolann Cloutier, combined to turn the ball over nine times, equaling their combined assist total.

Part of what caused UMass to turn the ball over so much was the defensive play of Jaclyn and Jessica Babe, both of whom finished the game with five steals. As a team, Central Connecticut (2-0) ripped the ball away from the Minutewomen 13 times.

The Blue Devils were able to limit their turnovers to 14. Another telling statistic was how each team finished at the free throw line. Central Connecticut did not visit the charity stripe as often as UMass, but they cashed in when they did, netting eight of the ten free throws they attempted. UMass finished the game 7-for-16 at the line, with Watson and Robinson combining to go 1-for-8.

UMass could neither find the range from behind the three point line, finishing just 2-11 after what was a 7-15 showing in the opener against BU.

The Minutewomen out-rebounded the Blue Devils 50-41, securing their second straight 50 rebound game after not having one since 2006.

Up next for UMass will be a game at Miami (Ohio) at 2 p.m. Saturday in Oxford, Ohio.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.