UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

From Franklin to Washington: UMass Permaculture wins challenge

Jeff Berstein/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts Permaculture Committee won the White House ‘Campus Champions of Change Challenge,’ for which it was nominated last month, according to the Permaculture Committee Facebook page and the campus challenge website.

The UMass Permaculture Committee, led completely by students, had a total of 59,850 votes by the time voting closed yesterday, putting them in the lead and winning the competition, according to the campus challenge website.

Upon the committee’s winning, its Facebook page began filling up with congratulatory posts, and at 12:03 a.m. yesterday, the permaculture committee posted “Thank you everyone so much! We truly could not have done this without you!”

UMass graduate student Ryan Harb helped start the Permaculture Committee approximately two years ago, according to an article published in the Boston Globe yesterday. The committee, which offers the UMass dining commons vegetables, fruit and nuts, was created as a “sustainable, low-maintenance garden,” according to the Globe.

The committee currently manages two gardens on the UMass campus, and was chosen as a finalist from a pool of 1,400 entries, according to the Globe.

Of that 1,400, 15 finalists were chosen, and five were selected to progress to the “online vote” stage, according to the Globe. After voting closed yesterday, UMass Permaculture was announced the winner.

Harb, the chief sustainability coordinator for Auxiliary Services and Enterprises and certified permaculture garden designer, is among 14 members of the committee, which he helped begin as a graduate student, according to a press release on the UMass website.

“I could hardly believe my ears,” said Harb in the release, discussing the day he found out about the nomination. “It was pretty hard to get to sleep that night.”

In the release, student facilitator for the Permaculture Committee, senior Meg Little said she was feeling “optimistic” about their chances of winning, and added that she thought they “had a good chance, because our project is really exciting and inspiring, as so many people tell me.”

Harb called permaculture landscaping “a vision for creating a more sustainable world,” according to the Globe.

Tables were set up in the Blue Wall, amongst other places on campus, where students could vote on the campus challenge website, one, two or three times, and voting closed this weekend.

— Steffi Porter, Collegian Staff

One Response to “From Franklin to Washington: UMass Permaculture wins challenge”
  1. Wining is good especially when it comes from this University