Track & field teams break records

Despite not putting up any team points on Day 1 of the IC4A Indoor Championships Saturday afternoon, the Massachusetts man’s track and field team made it into the school record books twice, thanks to two stellar performances from junior Paul Grafov.

Last weekend in the 500 meter run, Grafov posted a time of 1:04.49, a career best and good enough for fifth place all-time for the Minutemen. This weekend, he recorded a 1:04.06, which tied him for the fourth-best mark with former Minuteman Neil Concepcion. Grafov finished in the middle of the pack in 16th place, unable to qualify for the finals.

Grafov also participated in the 4×400 relay, along with Aaron Araujo, Evan Donadt and Zach Hildenbrandt. The foursome placed 15th in the preliminaries with a time of 3:15.67, giving them the fifth best time in the UMass history.

The 4×800 team and distance medley relay were the only other groups that competed for UMass in the championship, placing 18th and 19th in the respective events. The 4×800 squad consisting of Thomas Mullen, Curtis Owen, Michael Giardina and Jared Reddy posted a time of 7:44.95, while John Mantia, Michael McDonough, Joe Doyle and Patrick McGowan clocked in at 10:10.64 in the distance medley. Both times were season bests for the Minutemen.

Minutewomen excel at ECACs

At the ECAC Championships at Reggie Lewis Track, the Minutewomen distance medley and 4×800 relay teams shined even brighter than the men’s.

On Saturday, the 4×800 team of Katie Powers, Courtney Neves, Courtney Baldwin and Sarah Bittermann recorded the second-best time in school history with a time of 9:07.16. With a sixth place preliminary time, the Minutewomen qualified for the finals on Sunday, but finished at 9:26.31, which put them in ninth place overall.

Powers and Baldwin also participated in the finals of the distance medley on Sunday, and finished in 19th place with a time of 12:10.86.

Senior Karen Roa made the finals for 3,000 meter run, and was the sole Minutewoman to complete her event on Sunday. She clocked in at 9:53.83, which placed her at 20th overall.

Taylor Snow can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Snow.