UMass to host free concert featuring Kesha, Juicy J to deter students from participating in ‘Blarney’ -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to 0-4 with Saturday’s defeat to Brown -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strong second half snaps three-game losing streak for UMass -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘UMass basketball’ returns in victory over Fordham -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

First quarter woes sink UMass men’s lacrosse in Grant Whiteway’s return -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Slamming stories in under six minutes

Eve Bernhard/Collegian

Whether it is due to a bad grade in a biochemistry course or a mistake at work, sharing a tale of missteps over a beer is common practice for some college students.

It is also the theme of an event at the Food For Thought Books Collective tonight.

At 8 p.m., at the downtown bookstore, students and community members will share stories about making bad choices.

“The theme of the night is ‘Doing it Wrong: Stories of Trial and Error.’ This show’s theme is very general, and thus inviting. We figure everybody has a story about making bad choices,” said Remy Schwartz, an organizer of the event.

In an informal, bring-your-own-beverage setting, the event invites audience members to tell an  autobiographical story, five to six minutes in length, about a mistake they’ve made in their lives.

“We don’t want anyone to memorize lines or anything like that,” said Schwartz. “It’s a good idea to have your first and last lines in mind though, and ad-lib through the middle.”

He added that, “No notes or props are allowed.” Stories are expected to range from funny to sad, though all will be genuine.

The seven to nine performances will be judged by an “applause-o-meter.” Modeled after a scene in the movie “That Thing You Do,” the amount of positive feedback each performer receives will affect their rating. The storytellers will be rated on a scale ranging from poor, to good, to galactic.

The local story slam is based on events organized by The Moth, a non-profit based in New York, which has held similar live storytelling events across the nation since 1997.

Schwartz said his inspiration for organizing the event came from his involvement in The Moth while home, in Chicago.

“I told [stories] a number of times and won once, and got an opportunity to compete in the coveted ‘Grandslam.’”

When he began attending Hampshire College he felt “there was an absence of live storytelling.” He proposed creating a local chapter of The Moth in the Valley but, when this was rejected, formed an independent study course to create a local storytelling group, called The Broth.

The group held its first event in December, and tonight will be second event.

The first Broth event, held at Haymarket Café in Northampton, featured Hampshire student Henry Epp, who shared a story about a 60-hour bus ride home to Minnesota and back to Amherst on a Greyhound bus.

“We were in Rochester, N.Y., stopped at the Greyhound station, and Rochester is right on the Canadian border,” said Epp. “So, we’re sitting in Rochester and a white van pulls up to the bus, and it says border patrol on the side, and three border patrol officers get on the bus and start checking IDs. They get to this one woman who has an ID, a passport from, like Uganda, or something, and they just pick her up and put her in the van. And we never saw her again.”

He spoke of a connection in Cleveland, Ohio, where, “on my right was a woman having a really loud argument with someone on the phone while holding her two-year-old child on a leash. And the child was acting like a human tetherball around her, running around to see how far he could go. And she was just yanking him back.”

Amid laughs from the audience, Epp described the trip as “like having acid flashbacks, kind of, except they’re Greyhound flashbacks.”

Similar stories can be expected at tonight’s event.

Schwartz said literary aficionados, news junkies and those that like stand-up comedy will especially enjoy the event, though he recommends all interested attend.

“Storytelling is universal, and it’s the oldest form of human communication,” he said. “Tons and tons of people enjoy live storytelling, even those who may not traditionally like live comedy or poetry or open mics. It’s a totally different event than any of those; it compiles all the best qualities and trims all the fat away.”

“[The event is] about connecting the audience and the storyteller,” he added. “Chances are, especially with ‘Doing it Wrong,’ you have made the same mistakes, you have felt the same feelings, and you have shared their perspective. It’s unbelievably unifying.”

Michelle Williams can be reached at mnwillia@student.umass.edu.