UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Chaz Williams to compete in Portsmouth Invitational Tournament -

Putting the ‘new’ back into ‘news’ -

Kurt Cobain, remembered 20 years later -

Feist plays engaging, soulful show at the Calvin Theater -

UMass poll shows Coakley emerging as a frontrunner in upcoming election -

Rain washes out baseball, softball -

General Education courses should not be required -

Campus Perspectives: One year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombings -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Boston Marathon: One year later -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bostonian spirit prevails -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Minutewomen continue to show offensive improvement -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Overalls and whitewashed outfits trend in spring 2014 -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

UMass looks to continue to build confidence against non-conference opponents -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

UMass rowing overcomes food poisoning and earns gold at Knecht Cup -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lessons from the Marathon bombings -

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

So you want to start an RSO?

It’s a dream some students have when they come to UMass. As scores of campus groups table and recruit freshmen throughout orientation and the first weeks of the semester, fantasies of creating a new group are at the forefront of the minds of new students. I should know: Almost four years ago I stood in front of the Student Union imagining a British history club, dedicated to discussing my favorite historical topic at the time.

But how do you actually start a group on campus?

The Student Government Association approves many Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) every semester, allowing them to book University space and apply for budgets.

However, there are some important things to consider before you embark on the process. First and foremost, ask yourself whether your proposed group is unique. In the case of my idea for a British history club, it was not: There is a fantastic History Club on campus that devotes time and discussion similar to my proposed topic.

This is not uncommon, and since the SGA cannot approve an infinite number of RSOs, we encourage groups to work together or to merge. We encourage students to check out the UMass Campus Pulse website to make sure that your prospective RSO is unique, or talk to someone in the SGA Office in Room 420, located in the Student Union.

Secondly, it is purely practical to refrain from working alone. This is because every RSO must have at least 10 members. Moreover, having a team takes a lot of the strain off your shoulders and allows for a more open process. Plus, the unified quest for RSO status is a great bonding experience and will no doubt help your group out once it becomes official.

One of the final things to keep in mind is that marketing is of paramount importance. It is essential that you spread the word and build your membership. Sure, you only need 10 to move through the process, but does that mean you want to stop there? You never know who might be interested in joining, so talk to as many people as possible.

Once you have considered these three things, you will be confronted with the requirements of becoming an RSO as well as the application process. The application is on Campus Pulse and requires quite a bit of information, like officer names and details, the details of the 10 undergraduate members, a signed statement of non-discrimination and a statement of justification regarding prospective RSO status, among other things.

Your charter is incredibly important, as it will serve as a guiding support for future leaders and members. At its most basic level, a charter must contain a process for voting by the membership, a fair and democratic method for election and removal of officers, a description of officer positions, a statement of free speech and clear procedures for conducting your meetings, to name a few.

I know, it sounds like a considerable amount of work. But think of what you are achieving: Like more than 250 people before you, you are creating an institution that will leave a lasting legacy for years to come, impacting students like you who are celebrating and promoting a common interest or cause on campus.

You will gain experience as a leader and as a mobilizer of students on a large scale, with the satisfaction of creating an organization designed to benefit thousands of students. You will have the opportunity to spread your mission, advocate for your cause and share your interests with a diverse population of students, staff and administrators, making lasting connections and changing perspectives in the process. Above all, you will have the support of the SGA and Student Activities behind everything you do and all that you try to accomplish.

It sounds incredibly cheesy, and I know you have heard it every moment form the day you stepped on campus, but you have the opportunity to make a difference on campus. Everyone wants to get involved, but not everyone knows how or what to get involved with. You can be the one who stands up for your passion, unites others who think as you do and creates something that will serve students like you for generations.

Garrett Gowen is the vice president of the SGA. He can be reached at ggowen@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “So you want to start an RSO?”
  1. Dr. Ed Cutting says:

I hate to tell you, but there is no Constitutional right to say that a group is redundant? In fact, if you read the _Southworth_ case, the underlying principle that justifies the mandatory activity fee is that absolutely any student can form any group for anyting they want to.

After what happened to the Republican Club — the real Republican Club — I would like to see the SGA itself shut down. Outright.