Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

‘Lesbian chic’ reduces sexual identity to fashion trend

According to Style.com, “lesbian chic” is in vogue right now. By making lesbianism a fashion statement of wearing Doc Martens and having a pixie cut, it is reducing the choice of sexuality to a passing fad. In reviewing “lesbian chic”, Style.com reported women preferring to wear flats and sneakers instead of high heels and the incorporation of baseball caps into everyday outfits for women.

Wikimedia Commons

Citing the beginning of a sexual revolution as the moment women choose not to subject themselves to a night on the town in four-inch stiletto heels seems a bit egregious to me. Women who are no longer dressing ultra femme are seen as embracing this new fashionable lesbianism, regardless if they are heterosexual and have no interest in women. According to the Style.com article, high profile lesbians are now prominent on the fashion scene thereby helping encourage this shift in androgynous fashion choices and maybe even encouraging more women to date women.

Coming from a lesbian who has never understood the problem with wearing two different shades of gray or cropped khaki capris, I can tell you that I’m not making a fashion statement with my outfit or my sexuality. But with all of this “lesbian chic” buzz going around, I get the benefit of being considered “fashionable” for a brief moment and the detriment of being seen as just going along with the present trend. Try explaining to your high-fashion mother whose platinum blond hair has never been above the shoulders that your style has not been part of some in vogue conspiracy, but has been a reflection of who you are. When I first came out to her, she explained that many of the women she worked with at her high-fashion boutique had experimented with other women in college and now they were happily dating men. Sorry Mom, this isn’t something that is going away like parachute pants or flair jeans.

Making lesbianism a fashion trend also makes it incredibly hard for ladies who love ladies to find other ladies who love ladies. No, you should never assume someone is straight or gay or bi by how he or she looks or his or her middle part ponytail. But by the same token, I’ll go out of my way to wear a men’s button up and Sperry’s to show other women that I’m interested. Finding a significant other involves social cues and signifiers that alert others to what kind of person you are looking for. In our happy valley, these social cues are already skewed by the hippie hipster aesthetic and the “It’s western Mass., I will wear wool socks with Birkenstocks in June” look. Trying to figure out if someone is a lesbian by looking at them here is like trying to figure out if they broke their arm in elementary school.

So stylistically, why is the trend of wearing less feminine clothing being seen as a vote in favor of lesbianism if the social signifiers of being gay are basically convoluted body language? What are we gaining by labeling combat boots and flats with a sexuality, and why do we feel the need to mark a shift from traditional views of femaleness? What does this all mean for lesbians who enjoy wearing four-inch heels and have long platinum blond hair?

In the vein of social fashion, it is irresponsible to categorize a certain look with a sexuality or race and to then make that look a trend. Doing so reduces the bigger issue at hand – who you inherently are and what you associate with – to clothing choices and a trendy thing to do rather. I’m a chic lesbian but the last thing I want to be is “lesbian chic.” I’m not gay because I wear plaid and have a mohawk or because finding a straight man is like finding a rainbow. I, a lady lover who is fashion challenged and is far too tall for heels, embrace that rainbow.

Allie Connell is a Collegian columnist and can be reached at aconn0@dailycollegian.com.