Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Being a conservative in today’s age

Election Day has come and gone. Take a moment to let that sink in.

MCT

What has seemingly been the longest and most negative election season in America’s history is finally over. Yet when I walked the streets of Boston early Tuesday morning on my way to the Mitt Romney headquarters to volunteer, there was an odd sense of normalcy in the atmosphere. Sure, there were lines outside of each of the voting stations, and the usual picketers were outside with their signs endorsing their respective candidates; for such an exceptionally nasty election season, everything seemed rather peaceful. The usual harsh words and physical confrontation that have come to be known in this election cycle were replaced with timid Americans lining up peacefully to cast their votes. I even stopped and asked someone for directions, and told them exactly where I was going and what my purpose was.

Spoiler alert: I didn’t get punched or spit on.

All said, the city was at peace, and being the first major election that I was actively involved in, I was pleasantly surprised. While all of the media has portrayed today as a judgment day on the two candidates, as I walked down the street, I got the distinct feeling that today was just another Tuesday, nothing special at all. Being a conservative, and a Romney supporter, I can tell you that the road to today was anything but easy. I suppose it all started with the longer-than-usual primary season, with Romney just clinching the nomination after a hard-fought battle amongst a divided Republican base. Once officially nominated, the news didn’t get any better for the former governor, with the media largely focusing on every single misstep on his long campaign and reports coming out that even his own staff were in dissent over the direction of the campaign. Long story short, the road to Nov. 6 has not been easy for any conservative.

That being said, this past month has been much kinder to us. After a widely acclaimed debate performance in Denver, the momentum has been on the Republican Party’s side. I predict that Romney will win the election, but it will be very close. As of about 10:45 pm, there are dead ties in Ohio and Florida, with the race also being too close to call in Virginia, North Carolina and Colorado. The likely outcome of the  election at this point is an Obama victory. Assuming nothing changes drastically and Obama does inch out a win tonight, not much will change. Obama will keep his position as commander-in-chief and the Senate and House of Representatives will both stay with the current majority party at the helm. So there isn’t much to look forward to in terms of change over the next four years. What should be monitored, however, is how Obama will act as a political figure with no re-election to be weary of. Will his policies become more extreme with no fear of being voted out on the horizon? Only time will tell.

Another important piece of Washington to pay attention to is the House, which will remain in Republican control. How will Obama get legislation through with the now even more bitter conservatives on his case? Will anything really be accomplished? Again, only time can tell what will become of politics in America, but this much if for sure; I’m scared for our future, and America missed out on a great opportunity to elect former Gov. Romney.

Rocco Giordano is a Collegian contributor and can be reached at rgiordan@student.umass.edu.

3 Responses to “Being a conservative in today’s age”
  1. David Hunt '90 says:

You have every right to be scared. While Romney had an uphill battle to stop our impending fiscal collapse, Obama will hit the accelerator.

2. mason says:

Mitt romney was not a great choice for the RNC, it was an unique pairing between two different candidates. One who was exceptionally skilled and gifted at politics, the other who had no natural political ability and whose aptitude as a polotican was average. A better rnc candidate historically given the level of discontent in america, the marginal change in economic conditions not simply the result of the global recession but relative to other western nations who have emerged the recession with healthy growth and pre-recession unemployment levels(i.e germany is growing at twice our gdp and has an unemployment rate less than 5.5percent) and of course high unemployment that has left tens of millions americans unemployed, suffering and hopeless. Historically only once in the past century has a president won with unemployment this high.

Romney was a poor choice for the RNC; hopefully for the sake of the RNC a better candidate is chosen, I’d like to see condolezza rice run.

3. mason says:

A better rnc candidate historically given the level of discontent in america may have won the election*