UMPD crime alert informs campus of motor vehicle theft near Rudd Field Sept. 17 -

‘It’ has revitalized the modern monster movie -

UMass Republicans feel ostracized in political climate -

Irma hits Cuba, putting rain cloud over students’ study abroad plans -

UMass football travels to Tennessee for its first Power Five game of 2017 -

UMass women’s soccer looks ahead to Thursday matchup with Davidson -

Perussault and the Minutewomen are ready for the start of A-10 play -

Behind the “Hate has no home at UMass” campaign -

A-10 field hockey notebook: VCU, St. Joseph’s, and Lock Haven dominate -

Video games as art -

A-10 men’s soccer notebook: Davidson falls to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg -

Glazed and confused: what youth should know about vaping -

Trust the professors, and trust the system -

Beauty that exists all around you and how to notice it -

Student death reported to the University Sept. 19 -

Domestic violence and experience of Muslim women lecture kicks off seminar series -

Students demand bathroom accountability -

Small trashcan fire broke out in Kennedy Hall -

Immigration policy discussed in public teach-in -

Massachusetts men’s soccer ties Central Connecticut State in double overtime -

Being a conservative in today’s age

Election Day has come and gone. Take a moment to let that sink in.

MCT

What has seemingly been the longest and most negative election season in America’s history is finally over. Yet when I walked the streets of Boston early Tuesday morning on my way to the Mitt Romney headquarters to volunteer, there was an odd sense of normalcy in the atmosphere. Sure, there were lines outside of each of the voting stations, and the usual picketers were outside with their signs endorsing their respective candidates; for such an exceptionally nasty election season, everything seemed rather peaceful. The usual harsh words and physical confrontation that have come to be known in this election cycle were replaced with timid Americans lining up peacefully to cast their votes. I even stopped and asked someone for directions, and told them exactly where I was going and what my purpose was.

Spoiler alert: I didn’t get punched or spit on.

All said, the city was at peace, and being the first major election that I was actively involved in, I was pleasantly surprised. While all of the media has portrayed today as a judgment day on the two candidates, as I walked down the street, I got the distinct feeling that today was just another Tuesday, nothing special at all. Being a conservative, and a Romney supporter, I can tell you that the road to today was anything but easy. I suppose it all started with the longer-than-usual primary season, with Romney just clinching the nomination after a hard-fought battle amongst a divided Republican base. Once officially nominated, the news didn’t get any better for the former governor, with the media largely focusing on every single misstep on his long campaign and reports coming out that even his own staff were in dissent over the direction of the campaign. Long story short, the road to Nov. 6 has not been easy for any conservative.

That being said, this past month has been much kinder to us. After a widely acclaimed debate performance in Denver, the momentum has been on the Republican Party’s side. I predict that Romney will win the election, but it will be very close. As of about 10:45 pm, there are dead ties in Ohio and Florida, with the race also being too close to call in Virginia, North Carolina and Colorado. The likely outcome of the  election at this point is an Obama victory. Assuming nothing changes drastically and Obama does inch out a win tonight, not much will change. Obama will keep his position as commander-in-chief and the Senate and House of Representatives will both stay with the current majority party at the helm. So there isn’t much to look forward to in terms of change over the next four years. What should be monitored, however, is how Obama will act as a political figure with no re-election to be weary of. Will his policies become more extreme with no fear of being voted out on the horizon? Only time will tell.

Another important piece of Washington to pay attention to is the House, which will remain in Republican control. How will Obama get legislation through with the now even more bitter conservatives on his case? Will anything really be accomplished? Again, only time can tell what will become of politics in America, but this much if for sure; I’m scared for our future, and America missed out on a great opportunity to elect former Gov. Romney.

Rocco Giordano is a Collegian contributor and can be reached at rgiordan@student.umass.edu.

3 Responses to “Being a conservative in today’s age”
  1. David Hunt '90 says:

You have every right to be scared. While Romney had an uphill battle to stop our impending fiscal collapse, Obama will hit the accelerator.

2. mason says:

Mitt romney was not a great choice for the RNC, it was an unique pairing between two different candidates. One who was exceptionally skilled and gifted at politics, the other who had no natural political ability and whose aptitude as a polotican was average. A better rnc candidate historically given the level of discontent in america, the marginal change in economic conditions not simply the result of the global recession but relative to other western nations who have emerged the recession with healthy growth and pre-recession unemployment levels(i.e germany is growing at twice our gdp and has an unemployment rate less than 5.5percent) and of course high unemployment that has left tens of millions americans unemployed, suffering and hopeless. Historically only once in the past century has a president won with unemployment this high.

Romney was a poor choice for the RNC; hopefully for the sake of the RNC a better candidate is chosen, I’d like to see condolezza rice run.

3. mason says:

A better rnc candidate historically given the level of discontent in america may have won the election*