UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Rolling Green fire victim identified as UMass student James Hoffman

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

Officials at the state medical examiner’s office have identified the University of Massachusetts student killed in a Monday morning fire at Rolling Green apartments as 21-year-old James Hoffman of Stoughton.

Hoffman, who was known as “Jake,” was  studying hospitality and tourism management at UMass, according to the school’s directory.

“(It’s) just a terrible tragedy – to have lost a student’s life is a terrible event for the community,” UMass spokesman Ed Blaguszewski said. “We feel terrible for this loss of life.”

Hoffman’s body was found on the second floor of unit 202, where he lived with two other roommates at the 422 Belchertown Road complex.

The three-alarm fire was reported about 4:45 a.m. Monday and quickly spread to adjacent units in the building, which hosted units 195 to 204. The apartments were heavily damaged, leaving about 30 residents – 22 of which are UMass students – homeless.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Blaguszewski said the University sent staff members out to Rolling Green a few hours after the fire began to identify which residents were UMass students.

Only one student had reached out to the University for housing as of Monday night, Blaguszewski said. Students in need of housing may be placed in any open residence hall or in the Campus Center hotel, he added.

A Rolling Green employee said Monday that she couldn’t say if all of the residents displaced would be relocated to other units in the complex.

The Red Cross arrived on the fire scene about 7 a.m. Monday and assisted tenants, including 20 adults and four children, throughout the day by providing food, temporary shelter and resources to purchase clothing, according to a press release sent out by the organization.

The University is offering affected students meal plan options and, depending on the situation, parking permits, Blaguszewski said.

He also said the University is working with faculty to make arrangements if students are unable to attend class.

Blaguszewski said the University will also be offering counseling programs. An emergency loan program, he said, is also being offered for those who may have lost clothing, computers and other items.

The University is working to set up a donation program for affected students, he added.

“I expect this week we will figure out the best way to do that,” he said.

Blaguszewski said donations may be for money, items or both.

“We want to make sure we reach out and say, ‘Let’s see what we can do to help you,’” Blaguszewski said. “One way or the other they will certainly be taken care of.”

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu. Herb Scribner can be reached at editor@dailycollegian.com.