Meet the 2015 SGA spring election candidates -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Years of dedication lead to breakout senior campaign for Zack LaRue -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Five simple steps to get your college diet on track -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Students head to State House, push for more public higher education funding -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gabriel Schmitt hopes to improve UMass health services as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Barrett/Barbosa ‘ready on day one’ -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

An outsider to the SGA, student trustee candidate Nicholas Vigneau says he brings a fresh perspective to the position -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kristi Sefanoni pleased with UMass softball’s start to season -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Outsider candidates Rocco Giordano and Dhananjay (Danny) Mirlay Srinivas intent on shoring up student-administration relationship, getting more voices heard -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

UMass tennis wins its first conference match in weekend split -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Minutewomen excel despite injuries, Minutemen gain experience -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

SGA election reforms address some, but not all concerns -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Emily O’Neil hopes to increase diversity and improve Title IX training as student trustee -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The next journalist under fire -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Letter: A call for action and cooperation -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Student trustee candidate Kabir Thatte looks to create his own path as a UMass legacy student within SGA -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Feb. 27 to Sunday, March 1, 2015 -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Kelly, Gay to focus on transparency, accessibility and sexual assault training -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Easy breathing tricks to de-stress during midterms -

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lack of transparency from Elections Commission endangers spring ballot -

Monday, March 2, 2015

Rolling Green fire victim identified as UMass student James Hoffman

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

Officials at the state medical examiner’s office have identified the University of Massachusetts student killed in a Monday morning fire at Rolling Green apartments as 21-year-old James Hoffman of Stoughton.

Hoffman, who was known as “Jake,” was  studying hospitality and tourism management at UMass, according to the school’s directory.

“(It’s) just a terrible tragedy – to have lost a student’s life is a terrible event for the community,” UMass spokesman Ed Blaguszewski said. “We feel terrible for this loss of life.”

Hoffman’s body was found on the second floor of unit 202, where he lived with two other roommates at the 422 Belchertown Road complex.

The three-alarm fire was reported about 4:45 a.m. Monday and quickly spread to adjacent units in the building, which hosted units 195 to 204. The apartments were heavily damaged, leaving about 30 residents – 22 of which are UMass students – homeless.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Blaguszewski said the University sent staff members out to Rolling Green a few hours after the fire began to identify which residents were UMass students.

Only one student had reached out to the University for housing as of Monday night, Blaguszewski said. Students in need of housing may be placed in any open residence hall or in the Campus Center hotel, he added.

A Rolling Green employee said Monday that she couldn’t say if all of the residents displaced would be relocated to other units in the complex.

The Red Cross arrived on the fire scene about 7 a.m. Monday and assisted tenants, including 20 adults and four children, throughout the day by providing food, temporary shelter and resources to purchase clothing, according to a press release sent out by the organization.

The University is offering affected students meal plan options and, depending on the situation, parking permits, Blaguszewski said.

He also said the University is working with faculty to make arrangements if students are unable to attend class.

Blaguszewski said the University will also be offering counseling programs. An emergency loan program, he said, is also being offered for those who may have lost clothing, computers and other items.

The University is working to set up a donation program for affected students, he added.

“I expect this week we will figure out the best way to do that,” he said.

Blaguszewski said donations may be for money, items or both.

“We want to make sure we reach out and say, ‘Let’s see what we can do to help you,’” Blaguszewski said. “One way or the other they will certainly be taken care of.”

Chelsie Field can be reached at cfield@student.umass.edu. Herb Scribner can be reached at editor@dailycollegian.com.