UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Late UMass senior James Tan remembered for his passion for volunteering

Courtesy of the Tan family

University of Massachusetts senior James W. Tan, a 10-year resident of Belchertown, passed away Feb. 19. He was 22.

The death occurred at an undisclosed Amherst location and was ruled not suspicious by the Northwestern district attorney’s office. Officials confirmed that Tan was not an on-campus resident of the University.

Originally from Amherst, Tan was a 2009 graduate of Belchertown High School. He was expected to graduate from UMass this spring with a degree in mechanical engineering.

His father, Will Tan, of Belchertown, said Tan will be deeply missed by those who knew him.

“His personality was – he’s always been tremendously sweet,” Will Tan said.

“Although it pains me to see his and my family in such pain because of his passing, I know that … he is in a better place,” said cousin Joanna Tan, 20, of Belchertown, in an interview over Facebook. “God’s grace gives us a little happiness during this tough time but it does not necessarily lessen the pain of loosing (sic) him.”

Joanna Tan grew up across the street from Tan and his family. Though she said she “did not know James extremely well during college,” she remembers him as being “an awkward kid with a great heart and a ridiculous brain.”

“He was always overly smart for his grade. It was no surprise when he decided to major in mechanical engineering,” she said. “He also had a good sense of humor, generally dry and sarcastic but he could be hilarious.”

Joanna Tan also recalled a time in their childhood in which, during a snowball fight, Tan accidentally threw an ice ball that cut her face.

“James was of course immediately very sorry and made his compassion known. Although we were young he didn’t need to be asked to apologize and he was really concerned for me,” she said.

This caring nature connected Tan to a passion for volunteer work and traveling. In high school, Tan got involved with Young Life, a non-denominational Christian missionary group similar to a youth group.

Will Tan said his son was “definitely the happiest when he was involved” with volunteer work.

“He liked to travel,” he added.

With Young Life, Tan traveled to a South Carolina, Guatemala and post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans. During these excursions, Tan would help “to build houses, maybe a school, and just generally help and encourage the people and children there,” according to Joanna Tan.

Other trips included working with a church in the Dominican Republic as well as backpacking and volunteering on Indian reservations in Montana.

“He grew spiritually from the relationships he developed and greatly enjoyed the companionship he found” while involved with Young Life, states Tan’s obituary penned by his family.

In addition to his parents Will and Laura (Perry) Tan, both UMass alumni, Tan is survived by three siblings: Jeremy, 19; Julia, 15; and Joshua, 10.

“He was a good big brother and in my memory, he was especially great with the youngest, Joshua,” Joanna said of Tan, who is also survived by grandparents Leong Hong Tan and Fai Yoke Leong, of Belchertown, and Sheila and George Perry, of Weymouth, as well as aunts, uncles and cousins.

The Tan family is planning a memorial service to celebrate his life March 30 at College Church 58 Pomeroy Terrace, Northampton at 2 p.m. The family requests that in lieu of flowers to make donations in Tan’s memory to Young Life of Hampshire County at younglife.org.  For more information and to sign the online guestbook, visit beersandstory.com.