‘Stopping Genocide and Mass Atrocities by Stopping the War Profiteers’ talk at UMass -

UMass hockey falls to No. 6 UMass Lowell for third time this season -

UMass hockey breakdown in final minutes of the second period on route to 5-2 loss to UMass Lowell -

Notebook: Jack Gibbs stars as UMass men’s basketball team drops game to Davidson Saturday -

UMass men’s basketball drops another close game, falls to Davidson Saturday afternoon -

Local blogger Larry Kelley dies in car crash, remembered by community -

REPORT: UMass football to name Ed Pinkham as next defensive coordinator -

UMass students skip class to stand in solidarity with undocumented immigrants and refugees -

NPR Education Correspondent Eric Westervelt talks on future of education -

Faculty of journalism department discusses failures of journalism during Trump era -

UMass hockey prepares for third and final match-up against No. 6 UMass Lowell on Saturday -

Panelists hold discussion on embodying global coalitions -

Journalist speaks on criminalization of youth in the United States -

UMass women’s lacrosse heads to Florida in search of first win of 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to get offense back on track against Ohio State -

Duquesne stomps UMass men’s basketball 96-66 in Pittsburgh -

UMass softball focuses on mental approach ahead of Madeira Beach Invitational -

UMass women’s basketball drops eighth straight in loss at Richmond -

‘50 Shades Darker’ steams up all windows in the nation -

’20th Century Women’ is a love letter to women across generations -

UMass men’s lacrosse embraces extended time off

Nicole Evangelista/Daily Collegian

Nicole Evangelista/Daily Collegian

Rest is something that’s often hard to come by in the middle of a lacrosse season.

But the Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team, which is in the midst of a 14-day layover, has made the most of the time to improve and reflect on the season thus far.

“We got to focus on the nicks that we really haven’t done too well this year and worked on what we struggled with,” short stick defensemen Ryan Izzo said. “It was a good chance for us to look back on previous games and understand what we need to do better for the upcoming part of the season.”

The No. 12 Minutemen (7-2, 1-0 Colonial Athletic Association) currently are in second place in the CAA, after an 8-6 victory over Penn State earlier in the season. UMass, which has four games remaining on its schedule, is entering the roulette of conference play with the race for first wide open.

Hofstra currently sits atop the conference with a 6-3 overall record and a 3-0 record in CAA play.

However, head coach Greg Cannella isn’t worried too much about the timing of the break for the Minutemen and is more interested with the way his team will perform throughout the rest of the year.

“The way you approach every game is the same, had this break happened a week or two weeks earlier we would have gone about it the same way,” he said.

Earlier this season, UMass endured a stretch of playing five games in just a 12-day period. The Minutemen saw it all during that stretch, including a 25-10 loss against Albany, a grind it out win against a top-five team in the country and everything in between.

“It’s good for us coaches because there are a lot of things we can go through from the 12 day, five game stretch that you can’t really work on because you are focused on the (preparation) and trying to rest guys,” Canella said.

Izzo compared this stretch of the season to how the Minutemen approach their fall ball routine of only practicing with the team and not having to focus on one specific opponent.

“We’ve been itching to get back onto the field since last game,” Izzo said. “This was a good week for us in term of the team aspect, it really built out commodore back up and gave us both the mental and physical break we needed.”

The Minutemen return back to a normal scheduled week as they prepare for the Towson game this Saturday at Garber Field. When asked about how the rest will affect his team Cannella simply responded with “we’ll see Saturday.”

Andrew Cyr can be reached at arcyr@umass.edu, and can be followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.