Mexican Dance Group Accepting New Members

Raices Grupo Folklorico, the only all adult Mexican dance company in Sacramento, is accepting new members from Sacramento State.

The dance group is encouraging anyone over 16 years of age who is interested in learning or presenting the Mexican heritage and culture.

The dance group practices are on Monday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. in Yosemite Hall in Room 187.

Raices Grupo Folklorico began in 1996 at Sacramento State. The dance group is composed of 20 Sacramento State students. The skills of every dance member vary. There are first time dancers to fourth year dancers.

“The company is a Sacramento State student organization with a goal of maintaining and preserving Mexican culture on campus,” said Jose Borrego, the manager of Raices Grupo Folklorico and a part time faulty member teaching for Sacramento State’s Department of Theatre and Dance.

The Dance Company practices throughout the fall season and performs between March and June of each year. The members perform at least 50 times a year. The company has performed for the Sacramento Rivercats, toured at Yosemite and the group even traveled to Idaho for the Boise River Festival.

“The performing company is run just like any athletic team on campus. To travel and dance in major shows, students must attend practice and demonstrate that they know the dances and be committed to the Art,” said Borrego.