A look at the NBA playoffs

Each series is one game deep in the 2001 National Basketball Association playoffs and there are quite a few familiar trends.

For one, after another mediocre season, the Knicks are cruising and, of course, the West is as wild as ever. But what may be the most striking is that the Celtics aren’t in the playoffs…but don’t worry Boston die-hards, feel free to dwell on your dust-collecting 16 titles.

Okay, that’s enough busting on the bitter Bostonians for now, let us instead concentrate on the task in front of us: this year’s one-on-one tournament – I mean the playoffs.

Let’s start in the Eastern Conference, where four real teams made the playoffs and four others were invited by default.

The Sixers were the first victims of a last second dagger from the accurate fingers of Reggie Miller. Allen Iverson did his best Spike Lee imitation after the game, as he waved his arms in the air calling for a foul but that routine works no better in The First Union Center than it does in the Garden.

So alas ‘the Answer’ did not state his nickname in the form of a question and the Sixers are down 1-0.

Batting second are the surprising Bucks who are led by a trio of dangerous scorers. The Deer let Tracy McGrady drop his 33 points while the rest of Orlando was less than magical from the floor. You can never count out T-Mac and his magicians, especially when a UConn alum is Milwaukee’s best player.

Next up, we have the Heat, who were very lukewarm against the Bugs who buzzed Pat Riley’s squad on their home floor.

Riley has been in this situation before, so don’t count out the Heat until his hair actually shifts out of place.

Rounding out the East first round is the four-five matchup between the Knicks and the Raptors.

Vince Carter could not have been less happy to draw New York in the first round. Vince-anity followed up a Vince-awful performance in last year’s postseason with a Vince-unpleasant 5-for-22 performance in Game 1. Hopefully Air Canada won’t go Vince-sane by the time this series is over.

Now we move due West to a conference that has eight real teams in the playoffs.

The Spurs didn’t exactly handle the Timberwolves in a five-point game one decision. With such a close contest, the decision ended up hinging on which starting power forward had a College Diploma. Tim Duncan, game winning shot…’nuff said.

Another nail biter followed in the two-seven game between the Kings and Phoenix. The Sun Spots managed a win behind rock solid court general Jason Kidd, who was not so easily mesmerized by fellow one-guard Jason Williams’ excessively hideous body art.

The Lakers did not provide the same excitement in their contest against the Blazers. Rasheed Wallace got another technical for being too ugly and the Lakers took advantage in a 106-93 win.

The Jazz ended up being a lot quicker than the Mavericks might have expected, especially considering four of the starting five were equipped with canes or walkers. Experience held suit, however, as Karl Malone’s 26 points helped the senior citizens take care of their business.

So the NBA playoffs have been quite interesting so far, and we are only one game in. Just wait until the Knicks face the Heat, if not in the postseason than most certainly in the parking lot. Rumor has it Lennox Lewis is a Heat fan, not surprising considering the 1-0 hole they’re in; they certainly know how to take a dive.

Matthew F. Sacco is a Collegian Columnist.