MLB cancels; other leagues suspend play

Like the schedules of countless operations throughout the country, the sports world’s agenda stalled Tuesday due to the unprecedented terrorist attacks.

Excluding the 1994 work stoppages, Major League Baseball erased an entire day of regular-season play for the first time since D-Day, 1944. Fifteen games were cancelled yesterday and officials around the league expect more shut downs Wednesday, though no official decision has been made.

“In the interest of security and out of a sense of deep mourning for the national tragedy that has occurred today, all Major League Baseball games for today have been cancelled,” Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig said in a released statement. “I will continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis and make ongoing decisions accordingly.

“My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to the families and victims of this horrendous series of events.”

Security is baseball’s main concern in deciding whether or not to remove the schedule lock. Given the demands for law enforcement in certain areas, it will be difficult for the League to ensure safety at events in the immediate future.

These qualms could halt Major League Baseball from finishing its 162-game schedule for the first time since the 1994 lockout. Rescheduling games will be difficult, as several teams have no remaining days off from now until the final day of the schedule.

The hesitancy to continue play extends to the National Football League, which is presently pondering postponement of this weekend’s contests.

“Regarding Sunday’s games, we will make no decision today [Tuesday],” league spokesman Joe Browne said. “We’ll gather information and speak to several parties within the next 24 to 48 hours.”

Miami Dolphins president Eddie Jones offered the following: “During this time of tragedy, our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this terrible event. We are in contact with the NFL regarding the decision-making process surrounding this weekend’s games, and until we have a definitive word from the league, as difficult as it may be, our staff is preparing to play this Sunday.”

The PGA Tour has already cancelled play Thursday at the World Golf Championship and two other tournaments.

“We will continue to monitor this situation, and make any further adjustments to our tournament schedules that appear to be appropriate or necessary,” PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said.

Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber announced all four regular season games scheduled for Wednesday have been postponed.

The National Hockey League has closed its New York offices, and at least three teams, including the New York Rangers, are in the process of adjusting their fall camp schedules.

Los Angeles Kings director of pro scouting, Ace Bailey, was one of two organization members on one of the flights that crashed into the World Trade Center today, a family member has confirmed. Beginning his 32nd year as either an NHL player or scout, Bailey played for Boston, Detroit, Washington, and Edmonton.

The NCAA hasn’t cancelled any intercollegiate contests, but has reminded conferences and individual schools that they have the “authority to determine whether to play regular season games.” And many have done so. The standing of this weekend’s Division I football games will be determined Wednesday. Thursday night’s Penn State-Virginia, Ohio-North Carolina and Texas Tech-UTEP games have already been postponed.

The University of Massachusetts had no scheduled games today. The school’s next planned events are for Friday.

Information from ESPN.com was used in this report.