Young Minutemen bring positive outlook to formidable slate

The members of the Massachusetts football team sauntered into the locker room adjacent to McGuirk Alumni Stadium at around 3 p.m. on Aug. 27. Most took the walk without an ache. But others, as the sport sanctions now and again, gave in to a few limps before entering the facility.

Alas, senior free safety Jeremy Robinson, one of the nation’s top defensive backs, strolled in with a half-cast on his right hand.

But he was quick to end the panic.

“It’s just a broken thumb,” he said, shrugging it off. “I won’t be wearing this thing for the [William ‘ Mary] game.”

That manner, in fact, holds entirely to Robinson’s motto for this 2001 season.

“No pain,” he said with a confident smirk. “We’ve got no pain.

“The injuries, little nicks, hurts, and all that stuff – we’re turning it all into aggression.”

Two seasons have passed since the Minutemen’s 1998 title run – a shock to the bystanders of Division I-AA football (because of the Maroon and White’s 2-9 record the previous year). And UMass, let alone Robinson, won’t hesitate to remember the lack of respect they encountered going into that crowning campaign.

“In the ’98 season, everyone was counting us out and we won the National Championship. I think this season is very similar – the key is to take all the criticism and turn it into aggression.

“We feel that we can play with anyone.”

Credit the optimistic approach to coach Mark Whipple and his staff. For a young team, with experienced leadership – on and off the field – the key to success, Whipple says, is execution. He’s not about to spend all week fretting about his opponent’s strategy. The only variables he knows he can control are the ones donned in maroon and white uniforms.

This year, there is a spotlight on finishing each play. This year, there is a focus on carrying out UMass football.

“We really inundated them with football [in camp],” Whipple said. “We were here from 6:30 in the morning until 10:30 at night, they went and slept and came back for more football. I think that we practiced at a high level all the way through camp and were more physical than we’ve been the last two years.”

Don’t anticipate the Minutemen’s second title in four years – the schedule is brutal – but don’t predict an Amherst disaster either.

The men in maroon have surprised you before.

***

Last season, UMass finished 7-4 overall, and 5-3 (3rd place) in the Atlantic 10. Offensively, it remained among the conference leaders, with 28.4 points and 402.7 yards per game. The Maroon and White defense surrendered just over 297 yards a game and its pass defense led the league allowing just under 160 yards per session.

The position-by-position breakdown is as follows:

QUARTERBACK

Redshirt freshman Matt Guice will get the starting nod as the Minutemen begin the 2001 season. Guice, who threw for over 2,000 yards and 25 touchdowns in his final year at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., beat out junior Kelly Seibert for the position. Seibert started four games last year, going 48-for-85, for 491 yards with 3 interceptions.

“Matt’s been able to escape some pressures and make some things happen in the run game, which has kept the offense on the move and made some first downs,” Whipple said. “He’s young and he’s going to make mistakes but he’s handled the mistakes he’s made, which is why I’ve given him the nod.”

RUNNING BACK

Whipple will call on two senior tailbacks this season in hopes of successfully replacing All-America tailback Marcel Shipp. Kevin Quinlan, Shipp’s back up for the last three years, carried the football 130 times for 686 yards last season to bring his career totals to 277 rushes for 1,406 yards with 16 touchdowns.

University of Central Florida transfer Omari Howard will join Quinlan in the backfield. In three years with the Golden Knights, Howard ran for 605 yards and scored nine times.

“Kevin Quinlan at tailback has really done a great job every time he’s been asked and Omari Howard has really come along and played well in camp,” Whipple said. “So I think we’ve got a good one-two punch and we’ll alternate those guys and get them pretty much even reps.”

Senior Pete Cariello will start at fullback for the third straight season. One of the A-10’s best fullbacks, Cariello caught 20 passes last year for 295 yards and two touchdowns.

“He’s made big plays and we need to find a way to get him the ball in space,” Whipple said. “He’s been a fairly physical player in our running game, so he’s solid as a senior leader.”

RECEIVERS

Senior Adrian Zullo, who tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the fifth game last season, will redshirt this season. In his three years for the Minutemen, Zullo has caught the football 135 times for 2,130 yards and 23 scores.

“It’s the best thing for him,” Whipple said. “He’s good enough to play some, but he won’t be as good as he will be next year, so we’ll save him.

“But we’re pretty deep [at wide receiver], I just hope we can stay healthy, unlike last year.”

Senior DeShon Hardy and junior Jimmie Howard – who also tore his ACL last year against Hofstra – will most likely lead this year’s crop of talented receivers. Hardy came up big for UMass last season after Zullo and Howard went down with injuries, taking in 27 throws for 370 yards.

The speedy Howard, who Whipple said is at “full strength,” has caught 14 passes in 15 games, for 266 yards. Along with his starting role on flank, he should also see time as a kick returner.

Seniors Ed Campbell, Rafael Santos and Paul Tupa, junior Tre Brady and sophomore Taj Washington round out the receiver depth chart.

Junior Greg Ward returns as the starting tight end for the Maroon and White. Last year, he made four receptions for 40 yards. Sophomore Eugene Young and redshirt freshman Sean Young will fight for the backup role.

“They’re all better and they’re playing better, so they all should be involved in the pass game more,” Whipple said. “They’re good targets and they just understand things better. Last year, the tight ends caught six passes the entire year, and in the Spring Game they caught seven.”

OFFENSIVE LINE

Senior All-America candidate Corey Mitchell will lead this year’s front line, heading into his third year at starting left tackle. Last year, the offensive line helped UMass rush for 170.4 yards game, and pass for 232.4 yards.

The returnees joining Mitchell are junior Maikel Miret at center and sophomore Carmen Rollins at right tackle.

Senior Jerimiah Williams and redshirt freshman Chris Harris are the probable replacements for graduates Tyler Lauback at guard and Joe Frowley at tackle.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Sophomores Valdamar Brower and Doran Davis will direct the defensive line this season for UMass. Both outstanding pass rushers, Brower totaled 57 tackles (11 for loss) and five sacks in his freshman year while Davis made 36 tackles and six sacks in a backup role.

“Doran and I are the only ones on the D-line with experience,” Brower said. “So I just need to take more of a leadership role. I need to be a little more vocal and just can’t let my head loose like I did last year.”

Junior Khalil Blakey and redshirt freshman Adam Waters will most likely start at the defensive end and tackle position, respectively.

LINEBACKERS

Trying to fill the void of graduated All-American Kole Ayi in starting roles will probably be junior Corey Potter and sophomores Jeremy Cain and Mike Ziccardi. Potter made 49 tackles last year, and Cain was right behind him with 45. Ziccardi, a transfer from Connecticut, dragged down 36 men in 2000 for the Huskies.

Sophomore Mark Kimener and redshirt freshman Leron Ancle will also see playing time at the linebacker spots.

SECONDARY

The defensive backfield is probably the strongest part of this year’s defense.

“It all starts with Robinson and (Eddie) Bowman, the two seniors,” Whipple said. “Those guys have played very well.”

Robinson, a three-year starter at free safety, and one of the nation’s best, made 75 tackles last season, grabbed four interceptions and broke up eight passes. Bowman, a
former wide receiver, made 18 tackles last year at defensive back.

Joining Robinson is junior Anton McKenzie at nickel back who made 42 tackles and six sacks last year. Senior Bill Barry and sophomore Ryan McHugh are also available for time at safety.

Joining Bowman at cornerback is Nate Long, who played running back last year. Sophomore Rob Williams and redshirt freshman Leroy Brooks will provide the back up.

“[Nate] can run,” Whipple said. “He’s probably the fastest guy on the defense.”

SPECIAL TEAMS

Junior David Sanger returns as the starting punter, and will attempt to better his 39.4 yards per punt average from last season. He also placed 14 punts inside the opponent’s 20-yard line. His strong kicking leg has given him a place atop UMass’ all-time career punting average list, at 40.1 yards per punt.

Juniors Doug White and Jason Cherry will once again split time this year at placekicker. Last season, White went 10-for-11 on field goals and 16-for-17 on extra points. Cherry drilled one field goal and 15-of-19 point afters.

Kevin Quinlan, Jimmie Howard and Omari Howard will return kick-offs while DeShon Hardy and Jeremy Robinson will see the most action returning punts.

***

The attitude is there.

“I think we’re probably better than the ’98 team,” Robinson said. “We’ve got a lot of speed on the defensive side of the ball, and offensively, we’ve got a lot of skilled players. We’ve obviously lost some talent from last year, but we’ve got some guys out there that are very athletic.”

If the Minutemen can come out of the first six games at .500, things begin to look good. But a four game stretch in the middle – beginning with Marshall and ending with Hofstra (all night games) – is tough. Failure to execute will come at a terrible price. The colors of the underdog this year are maroon and white.

But, with a bit of luck and health, come November, Mr. Robinson will still be walking around with “no pain,” as will the Amherst faithful.