Lasme signs letter of intent

The backcourt of the Massachusetts basketball team increased in depth yesterday when Michel “Mike” Lasme, a 6-foot-1 combo-guard from the Ivory Coast, signed his national letter of intent to play for coach Steve Lappas and the Minutemen.

“I’m very excited to have him in the fold,” said Lappas last night, in his first chance to comment on his new guard. “He’s a very athletic kid and a very, very good scorer.

“He’s going to be a nice addition to the program.”

Lasme caught the attention of coaches’ nationwide two summers ago when he came to America and played for Crispus Attucks in York, Pa. This season he will play for the Life Center Academy in Willingboro, N.J.

He is most recognized for his quickness, shooting ability, 6-foot-5-inch wingspan and 45-inch vertical.

“He jumps to the moon,” Lappas said. “Plus he has long arms and is strong…and he’s a real good shooter. He knocks them down.”

Lasme will join freshman Kyle Wilson and Anthony Anderson next year on the UMass guard depth chart. All three can play both the point and off-guard positions which should solidify the UMass backcourt for the next few seasons.

You throw those three in and Marcus Cox (sophomore transfer from UConn) and…you feel like you could have something,” Lappas said.

Lasme verbally committed to UMass in mid-July, reneged on that pledge in late September, but recommitted soon after.

“He’s got a lot of talent,” Lappas said. “He hasn’t been playing that long in this country so there’s a lot of things he needs to learn but he’s a great kid and he plays hard and he wants to learn.

Lasme selected UMass over interest from Stanford, Connecticut, Seton Hall, USC, Cincinnati, and St. John’s.

Stephen Briggs, a 6-foot-9, 220- pound power forward from Westside High School in Houston, Texas, is expected to sign his letter of intent today. The Briggs signing will be key with the loss of big men Kitwana Rhymer and Eric Williams next year to graduation.