Literacy Project offers different style of education

The Literacy Project is an adult, basic education program for successful education, community and social change. In Massachusetts, 1.2 million adults, or 25 percent, have skills below a high school level. Every year dozens of volunteers join the Literacy Project in an effort to change the statistics.

“This program is for those that have not succeeded in traditional education,” Hollyn Green, the executive director of the program said. “Maybe because of a disruptive home life, early parenthood or learning disabilities, they had to drop out of school early.”

When the students get to the Literacy project, they do an assessment test with math and reading. They are then enrolled in classes to study subjects such as math, reading and computer skills.

“Some people are in the 0-4 grade level or maybe are ready to get into the Pre-GED class,” Green said.

Green suggested that the Literacy Project is important because it helps students increase their ability in reading and helps them with their family, life jobs and community.

“It helps them be in a higher level of community participation, such as voting,” Green said.

The Literacy Project also provides accommodations for people with disabilities, and is partially funded by the Department of Education. The Project is not only beneficial for those who take the tests but also for the volunteers.

“Volunteers almost always get more than they give,” one volunteer said. “This has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done.”

The training is for 15 hours, and volunteers must attend two sessions. Pre-registration is required and space is limited. The Literacy Project is funded by the Massachusetts Department of Education, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, the United Way, the community Coalition for Teens, community foundations and private donations.

“It is a free program that helps students improve their lives to become better individuals and citizens,” Green said. “The Literacy Project is seeking for volunteer tutors. They find the work personally rewarding. Volunteers find a great way to strengthen their communities and create a lasting change.”

The Literacy Project is located in 6 counties. In Franklin and Hampshire Counties, Amherst, Northampton, Ware, Orange, Turner Falls, and Greenfield all host programs.

This program is free of cost. It is currently seeking Classroom assistants for literary, math, computer and GED classes. To register, call Margaret Anderson, Volunteer Coordinator, at 413-774-3934, extension 15.