Food Bank holds fundraiser today

Piece of the Pie day, the Food Bank’s oldest and most popular fundraiser, is running today. Piece of the Pie day is an event to raise money to fight hunger in Western Massachusetts.

180 restaurants across Western Massachusetts will participate, including 27 Amherst restaurants. Ten percent of the restaurant’s earnings for the day will go to the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts.

Each dollar raised for The Food Bank can be turned into $9 of healthy, nutritious food for people in need of assistance.

“This is our fourteenth year doing Piece of the Pie in the Pioneer Valley and our third year in Berkshire County,” said David Sharken, Food Bank Executive Director.

“Unfortunately, the food pantries and other agencies we serve have seen a significant increase in the number of people coming to them for assistance over the past year – particularly the working poor – and this trend doesn’t show any signs of slowing down,” said Sharken.

People in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampshire, and Hampden Counties are encouraged to enjoy their meals at one of the participating restaurants or get a take-out meal.

“With the slow economy, it’s more important than ever for folks to help us raise funds to meet the growing need for assistance,” said Sharken.

“Working families are having to choose between keeping up with their bills and buying food for their children – it’s a position no one should be put in,” said Sharken.

Piece of the Pie 2002 is sponsored by Lightlife Foods, a maker of vegetarian products, The Valley Advocate, WWLP Channel 22, Health New England, The Berkshire Eagle, Lamar Outdoor Advertising, and Callahan Outdoor Advertising.

All proceeds from this event will go to benefit The Food Bank.

The Food Bank works behind nearly every agency that provides food to people in need in the western Massachusetts area.

Each year over 6 million pounds of food are distributed to 420 social programs that work to serve those in need.

“This year we will distribute 7 million pounds of food to over 100,000 people, almost half of which are children,” Sharken said.

– Courtney Charles