Their time to shine

Third season.

It’s a pair of words that haven’t been thrown around in the Pioneer Valley in nearly three years. But following a solid non-conference run and the most Division I conference wins in school history, the Massachusetts hockey team is prepped and ready to go for the Hockey East playoffs.

The Minutemen (17-16-1, 10-14-0 HE) have a trio of obstacles to overcome for this weekend’s series against Maine (24-7-5, 14-6-4 HE). They have never won a Hockey East playoff game, have never won a game at Alfond Arena and no team has ever defeated Maine at Alfond in the Hockey East Playoffs. Still, UMass coach Don Cahoon never likes to talk about the past.

“We know it’s a challenge,” he said. “I hope we have a good first period. They know what they’re up against. They know that we can put a game together.”

And the players are far from intimidated by playing in one of the most intense environments in college hockey.

“I’m pumped,” freshman defenseman Marvin Degon said. “Where else is there a better environment for playoff hockey? We beat them, we went up there early in the year – when we didn’t really know anything about each other, still a young team, not much chemistry – and a 1-0 loss, one goal, in that building, is a big deal.”

“I’m pretty solid,” goalkeeper Gabe Winer said. “I’m all excited to go for Thursday. The trip there is not going to be too fun, but Alfond is probably the most fun rink to play at.”

Winer, following a brief struggle during the month of January, appears to be back in early season form by stopping 86 of the last 94 shots he has faced. According to Cahoon, goaltending will be a crucial matchup for the Minutemen – and with rookie phenoms Jimmy Howard and Frank Doyle staring down Winer from the other end, it should make for a tough scoring series.

“We’re not going anywhere without [goaltending],” Cahoon said. “Chances are both goalies [Winer and his counterpart] will be playing well.”

Senior captain Tim Turner also seemed unenthused with the bus ride that loomed ahead.

“I do not want to go on a four-hour bus ride,” he said. “But I’m excited. It’s a great place to play, a nice college hockey rink. It’s going to be fun.”

The Minutemen have already played the fourth-ranked Black Bears four times this season – dropping three of the four, but winning a 4-2 decision in Amherst that was one of the most impressive outings of the season for the Maroon and White. In its only trip north to Orono, UMass fell 1-0 on a Colin Shields tally in the second period.

One concern for the Minutemen has to be experience, as just two players on the team have played in the Hockey East playoffs, and one – Kelly Sickavish – has not been in the lineup since December with a head injury.

“Me and Kelly are the only ones that have played in a playoff game here,” Turner said. “It’s an exciting time and I think the emotions are going to run wild. It’s important to make sure we go in there confident, relaxed.”

Cahoon was pleased to lead the team back to the playoffs for his co-captain Turner, the fourth-best scorer in school history.

“I know Timmy can leave here with his head held high,” he said.

An equally demanding task for the young team is remaining fresh should the series go to three nights. The Minutemen have not been as sharp on the second night of two-game sets all season, and a split in the first two contests would mean a third consecutive night of hockey.

“I try not to think about it, but I can tell you that the third game, both teams will be tired, not just us, but the adrenaline will be flowing,” Winer said.

Degon seemed outright excited about the possibility of playing three nights in a row.

“I can’t stop thinking about it,” he said. “It’s every kid that comes to college’s dream – to just keep playing. From seeing these guys in the locker room, we’re pretty well-conditioned athletes, so I don’t think we’re scared at all.”

The Maroon and White is preparing quite a bit for the Black Bears. And Winer used the assets that he had in practice to get ready for Maine’s sharpshooters.

“Having Tommy [P