Faculty Senate worried about loss of cheeba

Faculty Senate members addressed concerns brought to the floor yesterday that the smoke-free campus motion passed by the Senate in February involves not only cigarette smoke but smoke from marijuana as well.

Professors from the Plant and Soil Sciences, Biology, Philosophy and English departments presented a special report to the Faculty Senate yesterday concerning what the prohibition of all smoke, specifically marijuana smoke would cost their specific departments.

“The use of marijuana in interpreting literature has long been accepted,” said English Professor Jenny Jones. “This is especially true when discussing the generation of beat writers, who remain crucial to our department’s studies.”

Jones went on to explain that to understand the atmosphere in which the writing took place, and the state of mind that beat authors had, she encouraged her students to “poke the smoke” while delving into their readings.

Adam Sandler supported Jones’s statements. He added that students scanning poetry, including Shakespearian and works of Chaucer, often greatly improved their ability to articulate in the vernacular of the times when “high as kites.”

The biological sciences, represented by, Doctor Frank Frankenstein insisted that “at no time has smoke from marijuana hurt others walking around campus.” Frankenstein explained that because the use of marijuana was generally confined to offices, dorm rooms, library carols, and closed meetings of the Rules Committee, the smoke would not irritate non-smokers in the area as cigarette smoke does across campus.

Plant and Soil Science professors Bert and Ernie Gaymen brought samples of their research work to the meeting to prove to the voting body what would be lost if a Smoke-Free Campus also meant a Ganja-free campus. The professors are researching the effects of a variation of the plant that could eventually be used as a new form of turf for golf courses. Other professors in their department, according to Bert and Ernie, use the plant for studies representing different types of plant medicinal traditions.

Massachusetts Society of Professors President Ron Story, a professor of History, supported the special report’s message.

“As professors at the University of Massachusetts we have had our rights dismissed by state budgeters, the number of our ranks is dwindling and our students are appallingly lazy,” Story said. “Shall this pleasure, one of our remaining few be taken from us too?”

At this, Senate members rose from their seats applauding Story’s question and the presenters’ report. Senate Secretary Bill Cosby moved to amend the Smoking ban on campus to include only smoke from tobacco products. Several rowdy senators, including voting member and SGA representative Imes High, seconded the motion before it was unanimously passed.

Chancellor Lombardi, following the meeting’s conclusion, said he supported the motion if it would relieve tension among faculty ranks and raise moral.