Minutewomen renew rivalry with BC

With the end of the season near, the intensity is raising and so are the stakes for the Massachusetts softball team.

The Maroon and White has had a successful season and is guaranteed a NCAA berth, but their next opponent, Boston College, is still fighting for a spot. With both an in-state rivalry and stakes riding high, this is a crucial game.

In their first meeting this season, the Minutewomen (28-12, 9-1 Atlantic 10) were backed by one of Kaila Holtz’s many dominant performances on the hill. The Eagles were shutout by the senior ace as the Minutewomen came away with a 2-0 victory. UMass coach Elaine Sortino feels the last game will add fuel to today’s game.

“I think [Boston College] is going to come after us,” UMass coach Elaine Sortino said. “We have a really tough game ahead of us tomorrow since they are going for a spot in the Big East. We look at our game and we know it’s crucially important.

“We are a ranked team in a different region than they are, so it’s crucial for them [to win], because they are looking at a NCAA breath and coming after and getting a win over UMass is big thing at this point,” Sortino explained. “So, this is a significant game for them and for us.”

“A win over another Big East school would help us with seeding for NCAA tournament,” Sortino replied. “Potentially, we can wrap up the number one spot [for the A-10 tourney] and clinch the regular season title. It’s a nice thing to dominate the Big East as a member of the Atlantic 10. It’s also a good game against good competition a week away from tournament time.”

The two weapons on BC’s roster that could cause some problems for UMass are a pair of seniors, pitcher Kim Ryan and shortstop Cara Blumfield.

Ryan is having the best season in her fourth campaign as an Eagle starter. She has been picked as Big East Pitcher of the Week for the last three weeks, including last week’s impressive shutout over BU. In a complete game, she stuck out 15 Terriers en route to striking out 28 in 14 innings over the course of last week. She posts an impressive stat line with a record of 13-5, 2.06 Earn Run Average and 178 strikeouts.

Blumfield was held to one hit by Holtz in the first game against the Minutewomen. The ‘Beast from the Big East’ has been a terror with her bat over four years. Last season, Blumfield became the first Eagles’ All-American, a second team choice by Louisville Slugger/NFCA, and her batting average was among top ten in NCAA, finishing at a .445 clip. This season hasn’t been as spectacular, but still solid with a .319 BA, eight homers, 24 runs batted in and 25 runs.

With all that is at stake in terms of postseason ramifications, the rivalry between the two schools can’t be overshadowed. There is an intense rivalry between Atlantic 10 and Big East, especially if both teams are within the same state. It’s a battle for turf, respect, and bragging rights.

“There is a lot of ego involved. Nobody wants to lose and it’s pretty much the same on both sides. Plus, [there is] the rivalry within the state and being such close opponents, and quite frankly having respect for their program. They have always been a quality program and I think they feel the same about us.”