UMass ready to get punked

Poppy punk stars Good Charlotte will make their Mullins Center debut tonight, with opening assists from burgeoning favorites Something Corporate and Mest.

Good Charlotte – or GC, as loyal fans often refer to them – have made a dent in the music world, bringing their ultra-catchy brand of polished punk to the mainstream and introducing a storied world of music to a new generation of fans who maybe unfamiliar with the sounds of the Ramones or the Sex Pistols.

Fans first took notice of Good Charlotte with their self-titled debut, which spawned minor MTV-friendly hits with the songs “Motivation Proclamation” and “The Clique.” But the band hit the mainstream with the release of their latest effort “The Young and the Hopeless” which has since gone double platinum on the strength of such radio friendly songs as “The Anthem” and “Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous.”

Unfortunately, some punk fans have questioned the credibility of the band because of the group’s newfound, widespread popularity. Songs like “The Anthem” were voted into top positions on pre-teen friendly shows like “Total Request Live.” Since these shows often catered to the Britney-and-Justin crowd, punk purists could often be heard crying sell-out when it came to Good Charlotte.

But the guys of Good Charlotte – which includes its twin front men, Joel and Benji Madden – never let the sell-out label get to them, and continue to make music that matters to them and their fans. The Madden brothers, who grew up in poverty and without a father, use their life story and the way they managed to work their way into fame as basis for many of their songs. The group has stayed true to its young fans, often staying behind to sign autographs for the eager Mohawked kids.

In addition to Good Charlotte, the ascendant turks of Mest and Something Corporate will be filling out the bill. Mest just recently released a self-titled new album this past June, including a collaboration with Benji Madden on the first single “Jaded (One of These Years).” It’s an excellent collection of pop-punk songs that could satiate the hunger of GC fans looking for similar sounds.

Meanwhile, Something Corporate will be releasing their sophomore album, “North,” on Oct. 21. Their debut, “Leaving Through the Window” made its mark a couple of years ago, selling a quarter of a million copies and whetting fans appetite’s for their more mature follow-up.