One for the road

For the Massachusetts football team, 2003 has been a season that requires many words to describe. However after defeating Rhode Island 31-17 at Warren P. McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Saturday, only one is needed.

Champions.

After a school-record 10 regular season wins and eight conference victory, as well as the program’s first ever 7-0 record at home, the Minutemen are champions of the Atlantic 10 for the 19th time – the most for any team in league history.

“This was a solid game for us,” Whipple said. “Our offense played really well in the first half and the defense played well in the second half. Overall it’s a great win and it’s always good to win a championship.”

“[A championship] means a lot,” defensive lineman Valdamar Brower said. ” … Last season was a teasing season, so it’s good to get it done this year.”

UMass (10-2, 8-1 A-10), which will surprisingly be on the road at Colgate in the first round of the I-AA playoffs, shares the A-10 title with Delaware, who was a 20-17 winner over Villanova. The Blue Hens (10-1, 8-1 A-10) will receive the conference’s automatic bid on the strength of their 51-45 triple overtime win over the Maroon and White.

One matter of concern for coach Mark Whipple, however, was the health of quarterback Jeff Krohn. The senior tri-captain left the game with a head injury in favor of Steve Howell, and did not return.

Krohn is expected to be back when UMass travels to Colgate.

“We just couldn’t take a chance with him,” Whipple said. “He was fine, a little fuzzy but everybody was telling me to take him out.

“He’s going to be OK.”

The Minutemen scored on each of their first five possessions, and their 21 points in the first quarter is the most they’ve scored in a single period all season. Krohn was 15 – of – 24 for 219 yards, two touchdown passes and one interception.

Steve Baylark led the way on the ground for UMass, as the sophomore ran for 116 yards and a touchdown on 26 carries. Raunny Rosario, seeing his first significant action since a knee injury in week one, carried 11 times for 58 yards while Rich Demers chipped in with 45 yards on six carries.

For the Rams (4-8, 2-6 A-10), Jerell Jones paced the rushing attack with 84 yards on just five carries, while three players – Luther Green, Wendall Williams and quarterback Jayson Davis – eclipsed 60 yards carrying the football.

Davis also completed five of his seven passes for 99 yards and a touchdown.

Trailing 31-7, the Rams tacked on a score just before halftime when Davis found Keith Brown with a 40 – yard scoring strike to narrow the edge to 31-14 heading into the intermission.

Rhody got on the board early in the second frame, as all-conference kicker Shane Laisle made the score 31-17 with a 33 – yard field foal at the 12:23 mark of the third quarter, however that marked all the scoring for both teams in what was a defensive second half.

“We were only able to score three points in the second half and I want to credit UMass for that,” Rhode Island coach Tim Stowers said. “I hope UMass goes a long way representing the Atlantic 10 and plays for a national championship.”

“Our defense knew Jeff was out and they just really picked it up,” Whipple added. “We caught up with their speed in the second half and played more of a field position game.

“We got out in front early and just did what we needed to do down the stretch, and that’s a credit to our kids. They played hard and knew that if they did, they could win a championship today.”

UMass found its offensive groove early, as Baylark made the score 7-0 with a 5 – yard touchdown run just 3:21 into the game.

The Maroon and White then doubled its edge when wide receiver Jason Peebler hauled in a 28 – yard scoring toss from Krohn to push the lead to 14-0.

URI cut the Minutemen’s lead in half at 14-7 midway through the first quarter when Calvin Poole found paydirt from nine yards out. After recovering an attempted onside kick by the Rams, however, UMass answered just 1:02 later as Demers took off on a 30 yard touchdown jaunt to cap a short three-play, 39 – yard drive to make the score 21-7.

A Michael Torres field goal made the score 24-7 with just under seven minutes remaining in the first half, and then Peebler upped the edge to 31-7 with a 10 yard touchdown reception from Krohn.

Freshman Christian Koegel, who has averaged 39.1 yards per punt this season, had one of his finest performances of the year Saturday, averaging 47.5 yards on four punts, with a long of 57. Koegel earned Rookie of the Week honors from the Atlantic 10 for his efforts.

The Minutemen will travel to Hamilton, N.Y. on Saturday for a first round game with Colgate (12-0) in the Division I-AA playoffs. Kickoff is slated for 12:30 p.m. at Andy Kerr Stadium.