A more than worthy candidate

On Super Tuesday, March 2, the eyes of the nation will be on Massachusetts, when you citizens make known whom you believe should be the Democratic nominee to face George W. Bush. I hope you are giving serious consideration to John Edwards. My wife and I went to our Iowa caucus for him.

We both thought that this was one of the best democratic fields of candidates to ever come through Iowa. All were worthy people, but we thought Senator Edwards stood out as the best – a good man who has vision that our nation needs in these pressing times. In addition, we believe he can beat Bush.

I would not suggest that my judgment is any better than yours, however, I would say that Edwards is as impressive as any candidate I have ever met in my lifetime, and that goes back many years. In fact, when I was young I thought the president had to be named FDR and the pope Pius.

My wife and I met, heard and shook hands with all the candidates that we could, even with Wesley Clark before he dropped out of the Iowa caucus. Edwards seemed so good that we went back to hear him over and over – to make sure he was for real. We concluded he was in fact the real thing.

There are all sorts of reasons that make me think that John Edwards can and should beat Bush, but just let me say that I hope he does. Our nation needs a man like him at this time. So please go and meet Senator Edwards when he is in your area. I think that you too will find him to be the person who can carry the next election and put our nation back on course to the kind of future that we, and our children, and children’s children want for this great land of ours.

Sam Osborne

West Branch, Iowa