Minutemen on a roll

Mike Marzelli

Collegian Staff

KINGSTON, R.I. Before the sixth-largest crowd ever to watch a

basketball game at the University of Rhode Island, the Massachusetts men’s basketball team got a little more of exactly what it needs.

Winning.

Trailing by as many as 10 points in the second half of a seesaw contest, the Minutemen rallied to tie the game at 62. Then, freshman Maurice Maxwell nailed a three-pointer with 25 seconds remaining to help solidify what may be his team’s biggest victory of the season, 67-63 over URI on Saturday afternoon before 6,705 at the Ryan Center.

“We knew we could win a road game against a good team,” team captain Anthony Anderson said. “We just finally proved it to ourselves, let alone anyone else.”

All five starters were in double figures for the Minutemen, as freshman guard Art Bowers led the way with a game-high 18 points, while Anderson, Jeff Viggiano and sophomore Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week Rashaun Freeman added 12 points a piece.

Senior guard Brian Woodward paced URI with 13 points, while Dustin Hellenga chipped in with 12 points and Dawan Robinson with 11.

“This ranks right up there [among most memorable wins] at UMass,” Lappas said. “The guys were as happy in the locker room as I’ve seen them, and they deserve that.”

With the score tied at 62 and the game clock winding down, it was Maxwell who stepped up and hit the biggest shot of his young career