Same-sex marriage opponents rally in Boston

BOSTON (AP) – Hundreds of opponents of same-sex marriage gathered Sunday on Boston Common to show support for a proposed constitutional amendment that would define marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

People held banners that read “Let the people vote,” “Marriage, ancient, sacred,” and “Homosexuality is not normal” as they were entertained by live music.

Speakers lined up for the rally included some of the state’s most high-profile gay marriage opponents, including Archbishop Sean P. O’Malley of the Roman Catholic Boston Archdiocese, and state House Speaker Thomas Finneran.

Ed Zicko, 69, attended the rally with his friend, Maureen Cavanaugh, 59, both members of St. Patrick’s Catholic church in Natick. He said he came to the rally because marriage is a tradition going back thousands of years and “I think people should have the opportunity to vote on it.”

A smaller group of counter-protesters, some holding a banner that said “Shame on you Sean,” in reference to O’Malley, stood behind the main stage.

Massachusetts’ highest court, the Supreme Judicial Court, ruled 4-3 in November that same-sex couples had a right under the state constitution to the benefits of marriage, and this past week it ruled by the same ratio that only marriage – not civil union – would satisfy its initial decision.

On Saturday, leaders of churches, synagogues and mosques around Massachusetts condemned the high court’s ruling in a joint statement and urged a constitutional ban on such unions.

“All eyes are on Massachusetts; may they see our courage and resolve to safeguard the fundamental institution of marriage,” the statement concluded.

Signers included O’Malley; the Rev. David M. Midwood, president of Vision New England, an organization of evangelical churches; the Islamic Council of New England, which has about 25 centers and mosques; the 80-church Black Ministerial Alliance; 100 Christian Orthodox churches; and two Jewish leaders.

A poll released Sunday by Merrimack College’s Center for Public Opinion Research suggested that support for gay marriage may be slipping, and support for legalizing civil unions growing.

Of 501 adults interviewed by phone in late January and early February, 33 percent said the state should recognize gay marriages, compared to 37 percent in November. In the latest poll, 43 percent said the state should recognize civil unions, compared to 38 percent in November. The margin of error was 4.5 percentage points.

The full Massachusetts House and Senate will meet Wednesday for a joint constitutional convention to consider a proposed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in Massachusetts.

If a majority of lawmakers vote in favor of the amendment twice, it would be put to the voters as a ballot referendum in 2006.