Annual Cultural Night

35th Annual Cultural Night

Tomorrow

8 p.m.

The African Students Association

Campus Center Auditorium

$8-$10

The African Students Association is holding its 35th Annual Cultural Night tomorrow. The event will begin promptly at 8 p.m. and will run until midnight. An after party will follow until about 2 a.m.

This will be the ASA’s second cultural night this school year and many involved are excited and anticipate a great night of entertainment, delicious food and exquisite displays of African dances and clothing. They anticipate a good turnout for this semester’s Cultural Night. It is an event that many enjoy and return to every year.

Kamiliyah Napoli, of Cambridge, who graduated in May 2003 with a degree in Chemical Engineering, said, “I think this is a great celebration of our culture as an African people and even though I have graduated, I love coming back and participating.”

The ASA has a good amount of sponsors this semester who contributed to help make this event possible, including The office of ALANA Affairs, Art council, the Black Student Union, Sigma Psi Epsilon and Coca-Cola. In addition to the funds they have received, the group has also been doing some fundraising of their own by selling T-shirts that contain a depiction of an African woman/man on them.

The theme for this semester’s Cultural Night is “The Great African Woman.” It will be a celebration of 35 great African women, signifying the 35 years since the first African Students Association Cultural Night.

“It will mostly be a woman night, celebrating African womanhood,” said Karen KouKou a sophomore Political Science Major who is in charge of conducting the fashion show and is one of the three members of the Cultural Chair of The ASA. KouKou said, “I’m really excited about the show, last semester’s was very successful. Our goal of the night is to teach people of women and people of Africa, (because) this is a celebration of Africa.”

The ASA Cultural Night is $10 for general admission and $8 for Five College students. Doors open at 7 p.m. at the Campus Center Auditorium.