Costello may miss remainder of 2004

During a speech at the UMass Athletic Association’s weekly sports luncheon yesterday, Massachusetts football coach Don Brown said that senior defensive back Steve Costello might sit out the remainder of the season with a medical red shirt, opening the door for him to make a healthy return to the team in 2005.

One of three captain-elects for the 2004 Minutemen, Costello was injured towards the end of the 2003 regular season, but continued to play through what then coach Mark Whipple described as an abdominal strain.The injury required off-season surgery. Costello flew to Philadelphia to be operated on by a specialist, whose prognosis indicated that the Kingston, N.Y. native would be healthy in time for the start of the regular season.

After sitting out during UMass’ 51-0 win over Delaware State, Costello returned to limited action against both Colgate and Richmond, seeing the field for what Brown described as “eight to 11 plays a game,” but he is still bothered by the troublesome injury.

“He’s playing through a lot of pain,” Brown said. “We’re just not sure if it’s worth it to have him out there at less than full speed right now, where we could have him healthy and at full speed next year. That’s where we’re at. Obviously that’s something we’re evaluating at this point.”