Cain signs four-year deal with Bears

After spending the last 10 weeks on the practice squad, former Massachusetts linebacker Jeremy Cain was added to the Chicago Bears’ active roster after signing a four-year contract with the team earlier this week. Terms of the contract were not disclosed, and the team placed defensive back Alfonso Marshall on injured reserve to make room for Cain.

The Bears originally signed Cain in late April after he was not selected in the 2004 National Football League Draft. The linebacker was invited to camp and spent the preseason on the active roster, but found himself on the practice squad at the start of the season.

A two-time All America selection and a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award, during both of his final seasons at UMass, Cain currently ranks fifth in career tackles on the school’s all-time list with 363, and fourth in career solo tackles with 252.

Serving as a tri-captain in 2003 under coach Mark Whipple, Cain was named first team All-Atlantic 10 after totaling 107 tackles and four sacks in leading UMass to an A-10 championship. He also garnered All America honors from both Don Hansen’s National Weekly Football Gazette and The Sports Network, while also being named to the Division I-AA all-star team.

-Mike Marzelli