9/11 evolves language

Kansas State Collegian (Kansas State U.)

(U-WIRE) MANHATTAN, Kan. – Language is an evolution. Some meanings change with time, but others are reshaped or created by extraordinary events. “Languages always change,” Carol Russell, linguistics instructor, said. “New words are added and some words are changed or even forgotten. Sometimes the new words become so commonplace we forget the original reason they were added to our lexicon in the first place.”

Since Sept. 11, the English language has received small alterations. Words like “al-Qaeda,” “Osama bin Laden” and “Patriot Act” are now included in dictionaries.

The definition of the noun “9/11” at www.dictionary.com is “the day in 2001 when Arab suicide bombers hijacked United States airliners and used them as bombs.”

“Never has a simple mention of a date, other than the Fourth of July, brought the same response and memories to Americans as 9/11,” Russell said.

Words added to dictionaries reflect society and its attitudes. Certain events make people use language in different ways, and once the language looks permanent, it is entered into dictionaries.

“I’m interested in not only the words that are entered, but the attitudes that are associated with them,” Naomi Wood, associate professor of English, said. “Like ‘ground zero’ – we use the word now, and the way we use it shows our thoughts toward political issues. People’s reactions are different.”

In the New Encarta Webster Dictionary, the word “September 10th” has been added. This adjective is defined as “so petty, shallow or outmoded as to be irrelevant.”

“The words being entered into the dictionary since 9/11 is an example of how we can’t have a fixed language,” Wood said. “It is always evolving, and it’s a challenge to keep up with word meanings.

“9/11 used to mean an emergency indicator, and now, depending on who is providing the definition or using the word, it can be patriotic.”

Russell noted an irony in the date and its new meaning.

“I think it is interesting that we use 911 to call for assistance from our emergency medics and on that date we saw so many of them respond to the tragic events,” she said.

Devon Hillyer, senior in business administration, said she hasn’t thought about the changes in the English language since Sept. 11, 2001.

“But it’s true, we use words now that meant something different or didn’t exist before 9/11,” she said.

Russell said the linguistic changes brought about by Sept. 11, 2001 are just an example of changes have occurred and will continue to occur.

“Talk of terrorism today is much like talk of communism of the 1950s and ’60s,” she said. “I know from a linguistic standpoint, some words, which may be commonplace today, may not be 15 years from now.”