GW drops annual matchup with Rider

Andy Stadler scores quickly and often for George Washington; but sometimes, it just isn’t enough.

Despite a goal 13 seconds into the match, the Colonials (3-3-0) lost to Rider on Saturday, 2-1.

Stadler has scored a point in each of GW’s last five games. He also leads the team with five goals and is leading the Atlantic 10 with two points per game.

The sophomore’s goal on Saturday came right after the first whistle of the game for the second year in a row in the Colonials-Broncs rivalry.

Last year, Thomas Stuber scored 18 seconds into the match at Rider. GW won that game, 2-1.

However, some unlucky defense for the Colonials caused this match to end with the opposite outcome.

Rider junior Colin Jennings scored the game-tying goal in the 15th minute when his seemingly-harmless free kick from midfield glanced off a GW defender’s head for the first Bronc goal.

Freshman forward Tom Antonucci later headed in a pass from teammate Lee Tomasso to give the Broncs the 2-1 lead and victory.

Nationally acclaimed Billikens blank Bradley

After moving to No. 18 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America coaches’ poll, Saint Louis flexed its nationally ranked muscles with a 2-0 shutout at Bradley Saturday.

Junior forward Dado Hamzagic led the way with a goal and an assist in the game, with sophomore midfielder Scott Wisniewski adding a late insurance goal to ice the game for the Billikens.

Both goals came late in the second half, despite SLU’s controlling the ball for most of the game. Saint Louis out-shot the Braves, 9-4, and held a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks.

Hamzagic broke the scoreless tie with just over 15 minutes remaining after receiving a cross pass from sophomore back Rob Viviano on the left flank, sending a shot past BU goalkeeper Mike Haynes’ right side.

The new rankings came after Saint Louis’ wins against Loyola-Marymount and previously No. 2 Indiana.

Sophomore midfielder Josh Aranda was named to the Top Drawer Soccer’s National Team of the Week after earning Co-Most Valuable Player honors at his team’s hosted tournament last weekend.

Teammate Kyle Patterson was also named to College Soccer News’ Team of the Week after netting the game winner against Indiana.

Bonnies promote reading at local elementary schools

For the third straight year, St. Bonaventure will not only be taking on their Atlantic 10 and non-conference opponents, but illiteracy as well.

The team will visit Boardmanville, Washington West, Ivers J. Norton and East View elementary schools in upstate New York to help launch the new and improved “Get a Kick out of Reading” program, which is designed to encourage the area’s children to implement reading into their everyday lives.

The program will reach approximately 1,300 students.

The Bonnies will visit the schools up to six times towards the end of October and early November to check up on the students’ progress, including an introductory assembly to decide their reading goals for the two-week period.

At the end of the program, the students who meet or pass their set goals will receive prizes, such as pizza parties, Bonnies memorabilia and a lunch and/or recess with the team.

Spiders edged on late penalty kick

Despite freshman Jake Russell’s second goal in his last three games, Richmond couldn’t hold on against George Mason in its first of four straight games against 2006 NCAA tournament teams.

Already down 2-0 with just under six minutes remaining, Russell took a pass from junior Delano Pierre and one-timed it into the net. The reigning A-10 Rookie of the Week has scored a point in each of his last four games.

However, despite a 16-12 shot advantage, the Spiders had already fallen behind on a hard shot by George Mason’s Parker Walton that was perfectly placed in the upper right corner of the cage from 20 yards out.

The Patriots were later awarded a penalty kick for a takedown in the goalkeeper’s box at 80:07. Chris Chaves shot it past Spider goalkeeper Eric Sciocchetti to give George Mason an insurance goal that proved the difference in the game