Students sound-off as presidential race heats up

To understand the political conviction of UMass students, one only has to look at the campus’ political scene on the eve of an election year.

When asked what candidate each supports in the 2008 Presidential election, a large number of UMass students responded with simply “Obama.”

The first-term Democratic senator from Illinois seems to have drummed up a great deal of enthusiasm in Amherst and on college campuses nationwide.

“I’ve heard a lot of good things about Barack Obama,” said freshman Rebecca O’Neil, an independent. “People seem excited [about him].”

“I’m leaning towards Obama,” said James S., a junior. “He seems like a very interesting candidate, with a fresh attitude.”

Hillary Clinton also received a good deal of support when students were questioned. Most quoted her husband Bill as a major influence to their decision.

“Bill Clinton was a good president in the nineties. His administration made the country very stable,” said freshman Jessica Felbaum, a Republican. “I would vote for Hillary, since I believe she would be a good president, and make similar decisions.”

A number of students remained undecided on a 2008 presidential candidate, however. “It’s too early to make a decision,” said Kara Burke, another freshman. “All of the issues have not been debated sufficiently yet. I’m going to wait.”

“[The 2008 campaign] is just getting juicy,” said Willy, a senior. “It’s going to be fun to watch.”

When asked which political party they most closely affiliated with,

approximately one half of students questioned responded Democrat. The rest were divided fairly equally between independents, Republicans and Libertarians.

Surprisingly, very few UMass students admitted to attending a political rally or protest within the past five years. Although most students responded that they hadn’t joined a politically-motivated club since arriving at UMass, a number of organizations such as MassPIRG and the Cannabis Reform Coalition still thrive.

“We are dealing with a very exciting time right now,” said CRC president Jon Werner. “This year students have a unique opportunity to fight the drug war by supporting a ballot initiative that can decriminalize marijuana in the state in the next election.” He added, ” The CRC has been strongly supporting this initiative, with a recent jump in membership to 80 students and a new campaign to collect signatures in support of the ballot initiative. We are now the largest student-run political organization on campus.”

MassPIRG has been active in past months as well, working to raise awareness for issues such as global warming, and hunger and homelessness. The organization’s grassroots efforts have also been turned recently towards

lobbying to make college expenses more affordable. Less expensive textbooks and more financial aid to cut student debts are also issues the group has been focusing on.

The UMass Republican Club hosted a speech by the former U.S. Congressman and current chairman of the Massachusetts GOP, Peter Torkildsen, on September 18.

The club also plans to host other speakers over the course of the year,

including conservative writer Phyllis Schlafly on October 3 and Jonah

Goldberg of the National Review in December. Republican Club President Brad DeFlumeri also revealed his hope to the Daily Collegian earlier in the week that presidential candidate Mitt Romney will speak at UMass later in the year.

“I’ve been asked to join many campaigns and political clubs since arriving here,” said freshman Maria Knourenkl. “I definitely feel like this is a politically motivated campus.”

Nick Bush can be reached at [email protected]