Republican Club leads charge in opposition of class boycott

The University of Massachusetts Republican Club is holding a “Speak-Out” against the scheduled General Student Strike at noon today on the steps of the Student Union.

According to the Republican Club President Brad DeFlumeri, they are going to discuss why they are opposed to the strike, which is scheduled to take place Thursday and Friday, and specifically why they disagree with the grievances students have.

“We think that the grievances of the students are absurd and that students are paying a lot of money to attend classes here and shouldn’t just refuse to attend for two days,” said DeFlumeri, speaking for the Republican Club.

The strike’s leaders are not justified in their attempts to encourage students to be absent from classes and having students not attend classes on Thursday and Friday will not further any of the causes they are fighting for, said Republican Club leaders yesterday.

The opposition to the strike stems from the fact that students would be missing part of the education they have already paid for in order to protest and that some students might use the strike as an excuse to not attend class. As long as students continue to pay tuition, professors get paid, and the University continues to be employed by the students, according to the Republican Club.

Strike organizers are requesting that the University roll back student fees, bring an end to police patrols in residence halls and control over student space in the Campus Center and Student Union and create diversity outreach and funding accountability.

The Republican Club plans to address more specifically all the concerns they have surrounding the general student strike during today’s rally.

Kristen Healy can be reached at [email protected].