Mills wins battle vs. Mahoney

For the first 38 minutes of the Massachusetts women’s basketball team’s 61-59 victory, Fordham point guard Megan Mahoney and Minutewoman forward Kate Mills established themselves as go-to players. In the final two minutes of the game, it was no different.

With about 1:30 remaining in the game, Mahoney drove into the lane, as she had done effectively all game. This time she missed the shot but got the rebound and immediately scored, giving the Rams a 57-55 lead.

Kate Mills took an 18 foot jump shot 14 seconds later and tied the game at 57 points.

Annie Zopf played well and finished with 12 points for Fordham, but as the game progressed, it became obvious that Mahoney would try to take over in the final minutes, and Pam Rosanio expected it, drawing a charge.

After a steal by Mahoney, Mills stole the inbounds pass from Zopf at half court, and took the ball the distance to put the Minutewomen ahead, 59-57.

“I knew there was no one in the backcourt, and if I was able to get ahead of No. 50, she wouldn’t catch me,” Mills said. “As soon as I got it, I just said, ‘Go to the basket,’ and I was able to score.”

Not surprisingly, the fate of the Rams rested in the hands of Mahoney, who delivered once again. Six seconds after Mills put UMass ahead, the freshman point guard rushed down the court and hit a short jump shot.

Alisha Tatham eventually won the game with seven seconds left, and the Rams turned the ball over when they tried to force a pass onto Mahoney, who was smothered by Minutewomen defenders.

Though they both gave their teams the best scoring options and chances to win the game, Mahoney and Mills play different styles. Mahoney consistently found a way to the basket by using her quickness to penetrate through the lane, while Mills used an inside-outside game to keep defenders off balance.

“Kate has a big presence inside,” Dacko said. “I don’t think they could have stayed with her 1-on-1, and they didn’t, but we still got to get her more and more looks and she’s got to make more baskets.”

Mills began the game 4-of-5 and was fouled on three made baskets early in the first half, converting on 2-of-3 free throw opportunities. She struggled from the field after her hot start in the first, and went into the locker room with 14 points on 6-of-13 shooting.

However, she got back on track in the second half, and finished the game with 26 points. Equally as impressive were Mills’ rebounding numbers. The team has struggled all year on the boards, and the senior forward grabbed 14 against the Rams.

While her outside shot will be available for the majority of the Minutewomen’s games, Mills was able to physically dominate her defenders inside yesterday. Fordham had no one to match up with her in the paint, and when she is able to excel from inside and outside the paint, she is nearly impossible to stop.

Fordham has no chance of achieving success this year, but with Mahoney’s ability to score points at will as a freshman, they are looking at a brighter future.

Mahoney’s first half statistics were less than impressive, but her presence was made known. She was 3-of-8 from the floor, including 1-of-2 from beyond the arc, and finished the half with 10 points.

The UMass coaching staff wanted to stop Mahoney from singlehandedly winning the game, so with four minutes remaining in the game, they elected to put Tatham on the point guard. While she played more effectively than Kim Benton or Sakkara Young, the Rams used screens to free Mahoney.

UMass left with the victory, but Mills and Mahoney left no doubts as to who two of the Atlantic 10’s premium players are.

Mike Connors can be reached at [email protected]