Eating disorders plague colleges, 40 percent affected

Although having a distorted body image is not uncommon among men and women of all ages, according to the MORE to ME campaign movement, 40 percent of college-aged women nationwide reported having an eating disorder.

Inspired by issues plaguing the female community, this campaign uses an online petition to support the funding of body image programs in schools.

“One goal of MORE to ME is to try and enforce the message into the minds of men and women that there is more to them than their body, such as personal attributes and self-image,” said project manager Sarah Silverman.

“We want to build a positive body image into the education of young women,” Silverman said. “The goal is two-fold: Not only is it designed to bring general awareness, but also to bring the issue to the forefront of the minds of influential people who are making decisions that impact children’s future and perceptions.”

Although college students represent a large number of people affected by eating disorders, Silverman said MORE to ME is also aimed at teens and pre-teens.

“Dieting to lose weight and fear of fatness are now common in girls as young as nine-year-olds and [these feelings] escalate dramatically during adolescence,” she said.

“I feel as if the standard goal weight decreases every year,” said University of Massachusetts freshman Marley Frankel.

“More often than not, people have trouble recognizing and accepting the prevalence of eating disorders because it does not directly touch their lives; yet it affects one half percent to one percent of the population of the University of Massachusetts,” said Dr. Jennifer Lexington, a clinical psychologist at University Health Services.

“Pressures from the media and society have added to the fact that not only women, but men as well are constantly obsessing over their physique and forgetting how to appreciate their individual value. However, the problem lies within the real world and in the cyber world of Facebook as well,” said UMass freshman Jackie Trombley.

“Tons of girls constantly ‘un-tag’ pictures [on Facebook] because they think they look fat. It’s an obsession,” said junior Caroline Moss.

“College is a microscope for young girls,” said Trombley. “It is important to grab the attention of college students who have the power to take part in programs like these and try their best to make a difference.”

Having a distorted body image may seem very prevalent among women, yet freshman Danny Breeling feels that “girls seem to hide the disorder, so it’s hard for people to know it’s such a big issue.”

“I hope people can be comfortable in their own skin so they can realize that it does not matter if everything isn’t perfect, and that is what makes us human in the first place,” Breeling said.

Allie Moss can be reached at [email protected].